Eco Tech Thermostats...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KarenJet

Reaction score
Hi, I am a new owner of both a stimpson python and 2 bearded dragons. Purchased over the weekend. It is a large double enclosure with all accessories, including an Eco tech thermostat on each half of the enclosure. I have been googling for 4 days straight now on how to set these things, as there is no instructions with these devices. I have only just this morning seen there is model numbers on these, so have had better luck in finding the right instructions. As I have found there are plenty of models and was having trouble getting the right instructions for the one I have. I have also just realised today that the two thermostats I have are in fact different models, although they look the same. I have the DTC100 on the lizards enclosure and the TC200 on the snake enclosure.

When setting up the enclosure on Saturday, I found the lizards one worked at the preset temps, etc, of the previous owners but the other one looks like it needs to be reset each time the power is cut so I had to start from scratch there. I finally found instructions for the one I needed, the DTC200 and think I have it working ok, just need to do some fine tuning.But I have noticed it doesn't dim like the DTC100, just seems to turn on and off.
Now, I have the box for the DTC100, so know it is a dimming one with day/night function.

Can somebody tell me what exactly the TC200 is please? Is it just the advanced thermostat, no dimming or what?
What is the differences between the two thermostats please?

If someone has the instructions for the DTC100, I would certainly appreciate a photocopy or email sent to me with them on it. I am not game to tough that one at the moment as it is working fine but would like the instructions in case I need them in the future, or to even check what they have got set in there.

Which one is the newer model? I am presuming the 200??

Cheers, Karen
s, I am sure this is the first of many questions I may have in the next few weeks or so as I get used to owning these reptiles. We bought them for our son, he is 14, and he is thrilled to bits, lol

Last edited:
Rubbish product.

Better off with a simple thermostat and a separate timers IMO and MUCH SAFER.

The DTC200 is an on/off thermostat.
Do yourself a favor, throw them out and get yourself a microclimate or habistat.

I've got one thermostat in my whole collection and its on my incubator, it's one of the old on/off probe thermostats that I got from the herp shop a hundred years ago, I switched over to a microclimate pulse pro for a couple of years and it really wasn't that much better at keeping stable temps, it died so I've now got the old faithful back on there and it hasn't missed a beat.......my point is you don't need a flash thermostat, as long as it works reliably whether it be on/of, pulse pro or dimming then you can't go wrong........keep it simple and less things can go wrong....

Always funny to read most ppl rubbish the Eco tech and say go to microclimate. Am I the only 1 who's Eco techs haven't missed a beat with keeping my temps( they have however faded and made it hard to read but not impossible, but this doesn't worry me ). I run 2 dimming and an on/off. I do also have a habitat stat. If it works and ur happy with it stick with it.

They work fine, everything I got is less than a year old, so all fairly immaculate. Just wish I knew exactly what I was doing to set them.
So porkbones or swampie, can you tell me what exactly the difference is between the divergent setting, (the first temp set at under 10) and the gradient9The 2nd one you set that is under 10). I am thinking the first one is how much hotter or lower you want your temps to be over or under your set temp. Then the second one is how much over or under you want your alarm to be set to?? This is the 200 I am talking about.

I have read a lot of people rubbishing eco tech, but as long as they are working I will continue to use them and then when they die I will look at the other two brands mentioned, thanks.

I have a stimpson, and was wondering if there is any way to distinguish the sex of it other than probing. I have been doing a fair bit of reading and know it is virtually impossible. But I was thinking maybe one sex is a calmer/quieter, or is it more an individual thing? As the one we have seems very quiet and placid. Husband was thinking females are probably more cranky and temperamental, lol

Last edited:
Pm ur email or phone number and I can send pics of the instructions

Always funny to read most ppl rubbish the Eco tech and say go to microclimate. Am I the only 1 who's Eco techs haven't missed a beat with keeping my temps( they have however faded and made it hard to read but not impossible, but this doesn't worry me ). I run 2 dimming and an on/off. I do also have a habitat stat. If it works and ur happy with it stick with it.

Nothing funny about your house burning down....or cooking your reptiles.

These units have a couple of inherent faults....one is the screen going dim after a just a few months...No biggie...just hard to read. One of their other faults is that the thermostat can 'lock on' from small fault current when a globe blows. Not a biggie if you are prepared to sit and watch after you have replaced a globe to ensure that the temps regulate and it doesn't just stay on and fry your animals (and potentially cause a fire).

The more serious fault is the control unit melting and catching fire. I know this because I have one with a melted case....caught before it caught me! I know of others who have had similar events occur.....I think from memory there were 9 or 10 ppl came forward with their experience when it was made public. Many of these actually had their units catch fire.

There were pictures circulating in the last few months of an enclosure fire with the details stating it was a faulty thermostat. Whilst it didn't name the brand, the photos of the burnt enclosure clearly showed an Eco-Tech (or one of its rebadged cousins) on the enclosure.....another victim of these cheap and poorly manufactured chinese thermostats.

I don't use Microclimate or Habistat....(I actually prefer to use no thermostat and balance the heating load to maintain temps on a timer) so its not about name dropping in my case. I know these Eco-Tech units are bad news....have seen the results personally, and seen what they have done to others who have made their experience public. One importer of a rebadged model has even stopped bringing them into Australia. Mine never missed a beat maintaining temps......but it did also nearly burn my house down.

You make your choice.....but just because yours hasn't missed a beat maintaining temps, doesn't mean that it won't catch fire next week like many others have.

Nothing funny about your house burning down....or cooking your reptiles.

These units have a couple of inherent faults....one is the screen going dim after a just a few months...No biggie...just hard to read. One of their other faults is that the thermostat can 'lock on' from small fault current when a globe blows. Not a biggie if you are prepared to sit and watch after you have replaced a globe to ensure that the temps regulate and it doesn't just stay on and fry your animals (and potentially cause a fire).

The more serious fault is the control unit melting and catching fire. I know this because I have one with a melted case....caught before it caught me! I know of others who have had similar events occur.....I think from memory there were 9 or 10 ppl came forward with their experience when it was made public. Many of these actually had their units catch fire.

There were pictures circulating in the last few months of an enclosure fire with the details stating it was a faulty thermostat. Whilst it didn't name the brand, the photos of the burnt enclosure clearly showed an Eco-Tech (or one of its rebadged cousins) on the enclosure.....another victim of these cheap and poorly manufactured chinese thermostats.

I don't use Microclimate or Habistat....(I actually prefer to use no thermostat and balance the heating load to maintain temps on a timer) so its not about name dropping in my case. I know these Eco-Tech units are bad news....have seen the results personally, and seen what they have done to others who have made their experience public. One importer of a rebadged model has even stopped bringing them into Australia. Mine never missed a beat maintaining temps......but it did also nearly burn my house down.

You make your choice.....but just because yours hasn't missed a beat maintaining temps, doesn't mean that it won't catch fire next week like many others have

No nothing funny with ur house burning down or cooking ur reptiles, never said there was.
So u know for a fact that 100% off all the Eco tech units are faulty and are likely to melt or cause a fire??? No didn't think so.
ive had a couple of bulbs blow. I've changed them over with no probs.
there may well n truly be some faults, I'm not denying that. But I wouldn't go as far as saying every single unit is a definite fire starter. Like I said (with my own experience with them) mine haven't missed a beat.

You make your choice?? but just because you had a problem with yours doesn't mean every single eco tech out there is going to start a fire

Not much more I can add to that argument........your logic just doesn't justify me wasting my time on a sensible response.

I'm running about 15 Eco tech dimming stats at the moment. All have faded but still readable from 2 - 3 m away. Apart from that all of them are running fine, keeps to my settings. I'm only using low wattage heat cord on shelves so fire risk is low. I've never experienced lock on as mentioned above. I've also never experienced any catch fire or come close. I've been using them for about 3 or 4 years. I suspect many don't use thermostats properly and safely anyway so am not surprised but them them being blamed for fires abit like heat mats (again pre heat cords, I used many different heat mats without an issue for many years). As with all appliances, I test and tag regularly and am comfortable with using these stats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back