Introducing Fruit and Veg to young Beardie

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesJ

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi, I would like to know how to coax my 4 month old Beardie into eating fruit and veg?

Thanks

James

Try leaving it in the enclosure in the morning while they are still hungry and drop a couple of nice juicy mealworms or silkworms into the bowl , chances are the beardie will go for the grub and get a mouthful of vegs and greens in the process.

Some beardies are very shy about eating in the presence of people (and will sneak some greens and veg when they think no one is looking).

You could try handfeeding some insects and vegs and greens each day so they come to understand the green stuff and colourful veg pieces are food. Be patient , and don't give in , he will eventually give in. if you decide to try hand feeding, be prepared to be bitten on the ends of the fingers a few times (will only be accidental until they learn your fingers are there too).

The little beardie should have been into the greens and veg already when it was sold to you by the breeder.

Last edited:
Try leaving it in the enclosure in the morning while they are still hungry and drop a couple of nice juicy mealworms or silkworms into the bowl , chances are the beardie will go for the grub and get a mouthful of vegs and greens in the process.

Some beardies are very shy about eating in the presence of people (and will sneak some greens and veg when they think no one is looking).

You could try handfeeding some insects and vegs and greens each day so they come to understand the green stuff and colourful veg pieces are food. Be patient , and don't give in , he will eventually give in. if you decide to try hand feeding, be prepared to be bitten on the ends of the fingers a few times (will only be accidental until they learn your fingers are there too).

The little beardie should have been into the greens and veg already when it was sold to you by the breeder.

Cheers! Thanks for that advice.

I put a bowl of veg in every tank (baby and adult) every morning before I go to work and have done since hatching and they go for it with gusto,so if I pass on a beardie to someone I know they eat veg.
It is sometimes so comical watching them eat,1 will come down and check out what I have put in the enclosure and then others will come to see what the first 1 is eating and then they all pig out.

I've had two trying to eat the same bit of puk choi green leaf and having a tuggerwar over it (when I had mine sharing the same tank (when they were little)). Very funny to watch.

Mine already liked their greens and veg when I bought them and I simply used the same veg as they were used to , doesn't hurt to add some softened juvenile beardie and vetafarm lizard pellets to the mix of veg and greens too.

Last edited:
I wouldn't use mealworms in the salad. Just chop up the vegies and drop them into a small plate the dragon will smash it due to the movement of you dropping the salad. If he doesn't just leave the salad in there in the morning and feed him some crickets when u get home. Also be sure to spray your vegies with water they will last longer.

Feed the veggies first before offering crickets/woodies, that way they are still hungry and will actually eat the veggies.
I use Bok Choy, endive lettuce and rocket, sometimes some grated carrot helps entice them as they enjoy colour.
Try not giving them any crickets/woodies for a day and only offering the veggies, by the second day im sure they will go for it and then you can give them crickets/woodies as a reward.

Feed the veggies first before offering crickets/woodies, that way they are still hungry and will actually eat the veggies.
I use Bok Choy, endive lettuce and rocket, sometimes some grated carrot helps entice them as they enjoy colour.
Try not giving them any crickets/woodies for a day and only offering the veggies, by the second day im sure they will go for it and then you can give them crickets/woodies as a reward.
Sometimes tough love works , sometimes the lizard is stubborn and will just wait for the stuff it likes.

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldn't use mealworms in the salad. Just chop up the vegies and drop them into a small plate the dragon will smash it due to the movement of you dropping the salad. If he doesn't just leave the salad in there in the morning and feed him some crickets when u get home. Also be sure to spray your vegies with water they will last longer.
Only advocating them as an enticer , to get them interested , not to do it all the time .

At 4 months old there is a high chance he won't want to know about them. Don't stress though, keep putting them in there for him and he will eat them when he is ready trust me.

It took my beardie until he was almost out of the juvenile phase to even have an interest in them. He will come around, you don't have to coax him at all. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back