Red, purple or clear basking heat lamp for juvenile beardie??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesJ

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I am just wondering should I have an infa-red heat lamp on during the day or a clear basking bulb? What is the ideal recommended lighting situation for heating purposes?

Thanks

James

What I did for mine as babies and juveniles :

Babies / juveniles ==> 100L tub , 7W heatpad sandwiched between 2 layers of ceramic wall tile connected to simple thermostat with probe attached to top of tiles (set 37-38[SUP]o[/SUP]C) and I put a hide on top, 13W UV10B CFB in pendulum style fitting with reflector attached to underside of lid on a timer ( on 6am - off 9pm) , if no lid 80W MVB about 200mm above basking spot and globe on a timer. (important use soldering iron to make holes for air exchange in 2 ends of tub (high up on end, low on other end) , I used scott towels for bedding. Cool end about 24[SUP]o[/SUP]C in winter, 28[SUP]o[/SUP]C in summer , basking spot I aim for 38-40[SUP]o[/SUP]C.

If more than one juvenile is in the rearing tub watch for dominance issues and separate as soon as these issues occur (the dominated beardie will not thrive and may be injured otherwise).

Adults ===> individual 4'x2'x500mm tall enclosures , similar only I use 100W spot globes for heat ,and 26W UVB10 CFB for UVA and UVB - both on a timer (on 6am - off 9pm) ,and my beardies each still have a heatpad that is on 24/7 under a hide for warm retreat and to sleep on at night if they choose to.

Other people choose to provide no night time heat ( I don't see the harm in giving them access to so warmth 24/7 .)

I chose not to use sand or any other particulate bedding for my beardies ( I think they are impaction risks and can also harbor bacteria, viruses and fungi unless regularly completely replaced ).

Last edited:
You need a white basking light, because it helps keep thier day night cycles stay where they should be

Hey James
i am the Qld URS Account manager - what type of reptile are you trying to keep warm?

Thanks James

My suggestion would be to set up your heated side with either a red infrared or OzPurple Globe for your heating and a UV globe or tube for the calcium absorption and day / night cycle clock
The great benefit with the Infrared or OzPurple is it can be used 24 hours as your heat source but must be used with a thermastat ( preferably a dimming) this will not affect the beardies day / night cycle clock as they are unable to see the red or purple in the colour spectrum and will sleep with these still on

The UV globe / tube must be used as it is essential for the sythesization of vitamin D3 which drives calcium absorbtion and must be turned on at sun up and off on sunset - no thermostat is required with the UV however a timer is handy with this

You can also use a Basking globe and a lot of people do but these also need to be turned off at sunset - a thermostat is requied with this also - gennerally when people use this type of set up they would have a heat mat or heat cord heating the enclosure - once again a thermostat must be used with those 2 heat sources also to prevent them from over heating

There are many dirrerent set ups for heating reptiles

If they're getting natural light exposure on their enclosure it really doesn't matter between red and white.
Natural light for their day/night cycle, not UV exposure is what I mean by this.
Beardies should always have a separate and dedicated UV source.

I can't believe how many people are mis informed on here. It is so hard to give good advice to youngsters who are starting out when idiots are chiming in telling him that tubs,red,blue,infared bulbs etc are all good for dragons.

I can't believe how many people are mis informed on here. It is so hard to give good advice to youngsters who are starting out when idiots are chiming in telling him that tubs,red,blue,infared bulbs etc are all good for dragons.

Then please do impart us simple creatures with your vast knowledge oh wise sage.

no it isn't that I am a wise sage.. it is that people are mis informed and don't have hands on experience and proper research. If some1 told you that jumping off a cliff gave you super human powers would you do it?
It is just simple common sense really.

no it isn't that I am a wise sage.. it is that people are mis informed and don't have hands on experience and proper research. If some1 told you that jumping off a cliff gave you super human powers would you do it?
It is just simple common sense really.

Depends if it's a magical cliff or not really...

What advice would you give, if everything so far is wrong according to you is my point...

What's your expert advise then ?

The OP has also started a few threads about the same husbandry setup. If you go back though the threads u will find my advice. But by all means if people want to use red, blue or even a torch for their bearded dragon setups that is their choice. Whatever helps them sleep at night.

Last edited:
Well .... at least the OP is asking for advice , surely that's a good thing .

Just give them a white light.

You don't need colored ones ***. Rofl.

- - - Updated - - -

If they're getting natural light exposure on their enclosure it really doesn't matter between red and white.
Natural light for their day/night cycle, not UV exposure is what I mean by this.
Beardies should always have a separate and dedicated UV source.

Yeah I agree. I find the strip lights are the best because then no matter where they are in the tank they get UV. Pl;us it needs to mounted inside the tank with no covers! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back