License number search?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ReptiBeck

Reaction score
Hi guys
I have read before somewhere that it is possible to search someone's license number and/or name to see if its genuinely registered to them or not, is this true because it would come in handy right now...having issues with the previous owner/seller of my snake :x

- - - Updated - - -

Meaning search the number and get at least the name of the holder...sorry if this is a waste of time or silly question this guy is just stuffing us around big time and do not want to risk getting into any trouble!

Last edited:
Would be handy . BUT a two edged sword - crooks could do it too and sell wild caught reptiles or stolen reptiles using a "stolen" ID and licencw number.

Would be handy . BUT a two edged sword - crooks could do it too and sell wild caught reptiles or stolen reptiles using a "stolen" ID and licencw number.

Yeah i was thinking that as well...i dont know who said that it existed, or when or why...i just remember reading it lol

Yeah i was thinking that as well...i dont know who said that it existed, or when or why...i just remember reading it lol

It would be better if they had such a search protocol that required the searcher to log on with their bonefide registered licence number and a password (known only to them) - since you must have a licence to buy (and sell) reptiles and to keep them. This would exclude unregistered / unlicenced crooks from doing a search based on either the name and address and / or licence number (doesn't stop crooks who are licenced to keep reptiles from using some else's details to lay a false trail for the cops though).

It would be better if they had such a search protocol that required the searcher to log on with their bonefide registered licence number and a password (known only to them) - since you must have a licence to buy (and sell) reptiles and to keep them. This would exclude unregistered / unlicenced crooks from doing a search based on either the name and address and / or licence number (doesn't stop crooks who are licenced to keep reptiles from using some else's details to lay a false trail for the cops though).

Don't agree.

We aren't quasi npws enforcement officers.Provided you get details for your records when doing a transaction then that is all you are obligated to do.It's not up to us to do further checks nor should it be.

Last edited:
Licence numbers are freely available on certain classified site where they are published with the add. Alternatively sellers can make up a license as there is no way of checking.

Don't agree.

We aren't quasi npws enforcement officers.Provided you get details for your records when doing a transaction then that is all you are obligated to do.It's not up to us to do further checks nor should it be.

apparently we ARE ,I just upgraded and read the details on my new license to make sure ;general conditions 3."-----It is the licensee's responsibility to verify the identity of the supplier and that the person holds a licence that permits possession and disposal of the protected native animals being acquired."

Last edited:
Don't agree.

I'm not saying we should have to do so, but there are occasions when maybe the buyer or seller mislay the information provided at the transaction and might have trouble getting onto the other person to get the information , or situations like the OP has.

- - - Updated - - -

apparently we ARE ,I just upgraded and read the details on my new license to make sure ;general conditions 3."-----It is the licensee's responsibility to verify the identity of the supplier and that the person holds a licence that permits possession and disposal of the protected native animals being acquired."
In most cases people behave in good faith and the information provided is bonefide , .... there are examples where things are not as they would seem , ie a fraudulent sale or a crook is involved.

I'm not saying we should have to do so, but there are occasions when maybe the buyer or seller mislay the information provided at the transaction and might have trouble getting onto the other person to get the information , or situations like the OP has.

- - - Updated - - -

In most cases people behave in good faith and the information provided is bonefide , .... there are examples where things are not as they would seem , ie a fraudulent sale or a crook is involved.

this is true,I was just quoting the latest from the boofocrats saying it is "our responsibility"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back