new enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great to hear you include the kids - Reptiles and kids are a great mix - educate educate educate

With the colours for the grout I was going to suggest what ever looks like a natural habitat but both colours exist in the instance so would come down to personal preference hey

Three coats of grout all over.
With 5 coats on the crucial points around the corners, entrances and resting areas.

Now its painting time :)

Notice the beer for size reference.

And my practice snake enjoying a feed of Rabbit.

- - - Updated - - -

There is so much more detail then you can see in these pics

In regards to the stick question,

In my frog vivarium I collected everything except the frogs from the bush behind my house. I wanted a realistic natural setting as all my frogs live wild in my area anyway. Obviously you would have to use common sense when collecting, don't take plants that are half dead or from polluted waterways and or half burnt logs etc etc. With the plants and rocks I collect I just wash and scrub them but with logs I wash, scrub, wash and then freeze it over night. You can also bake them but I don't bother with that. In saying that I haven't dealt with a 2m log before so unless you had a walk in freezer it wouldn't work lol. Let me know what u end up doing mate.

2m freezer or oven is kinda tuff to find.

I found a nice 75kg redgum branch off a recently fallen tree down at a mates farm.
Dragged it out of a creek by myself and loaded it on my ute.
Once home carried it out onto my deck.
Then changed my mind and went with the fake rock idea as a primary feature, then i will find some smaller items for climbing as a secondary feature.
So now i have spare firewood :)

2m freezer or oven is kinda tuff to find.

I found a nice 75kg redgum branch off a recently fallen tree down at a mates farm.
Dragged it out of a creek by myself and loaded it on my ute.
Once home carried it out onto my deck.
Then changed my mind and went with the fake rock idea as a primary feature, then i will find some smaller items for climbing as a secondary feature.
So now i have spare firewood :)

Ha. Yeh it would be rather difficult lol. I think the longest log I got into my oven was 400ml.
Alternatives are using a curtain rod and fixtures or if you have access to a lathe?? (Probs spelt wrong) you could carve up something nice.

3rd coat of sealer going on tonight.
Starting to look really good for a first attempt.

I was kinda planning on waiting till its all resembled before deciding on branches either fake or real.

Ive got some cool lighting organized so it will have to wait till thats setup.

Definitely thinking some form of fake greenery to break up the rock look.

Is there any good fake vine type stuff out there?

3rd coat of sealer going on tonight.
Starting to look really good for a first attempt.

I was kinda planning on waiting till its all resembled before deciding on branches either fake or real.

Ive got some cool lighting organized so it will have to wait till thats setup.

Definitely thinking some form of fake greenery to break up the rock look.

Is there any good fake vine type stuff out there?

Personally I have never used fake plants in any of my vivariums. I would assume a plastic vine bought from a dollar shop should be ok. instead of paying over $50 for a fake vine at a petshop just check the label and see what plastic is in it then go to cheap shop and compare label. I've heard fake silk plants are no good but forget why. Something about bacteria? Don't know 100% the problem though.

Yea some prices are criminal thats for sure.

last thing I need is making her sick from a bloody expensive ornament

Nice set up. When i set up my Frilly cage i needed a tall log so i placed it in the swimming pool for about a week to kill off any bugs. I guess bath would work also.

Sealer is all finished.
4 coats with a decent thick one on the traffic areas.
All my lights and other bits should turn up today hopefully.

Interested to see your progress, is it all finished now?

Edited to add: Apologies, I managed to read the posting date wrong on my first post. Looking forward to seeing more :)

Where did my updated pics go?

- - - Updated - - -

Hmmm ive logged on the old pc to see if that helps.

seems to work.

any questions fire away.

temps are great with a nice variant between ends of around 10 deg.
the only spare ceramic globe i had was a 200w , but uusing the evo microclimate to hold 32'c at her basking spot the globe is running at 55 - 60%
night temps of 25' is only at 30%, so a definate downgrade in globe is on the cards.

the second pic is a bad pic but shows the removable water bowl.

fairly happy with everything at this stage

Attachments

• 20150701210050_IMG_1252.JPG
    20150701210050_IMG_1252.JPG
    750.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 20150702_173623.jpg
    20150702_173623.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 28
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back