Jungle Python R.I. Infection

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

simboni

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hi

my 7 month old jungle has been making a variety of cracking/popping sounds and some whistling sounds too. She seems to yawn/readjust her mouth a lot, but I only notice it when handling, and its always after a feed. She blew a bubble once however it was after she had been in a container with water to help with her shedding. I've read that these popping and whistling sounds is what they do as a juvenile, however I am getting seriously worried that she is developing or has already developed an R.I.

is this normal or is there a serious problem?

Haven't seen any, where would it be appearing? She readjusts or yawns a lot when I'm handling her and makes this crackling popping sound at least every 20 seconds. Her eyes have just begun to turn milky.

Around her mouth/gums and her nose. What temps are you running and is it very humid in the enclosure?

- - - Updated - - -

She is prob fine... As long as she has the right temps a clean enclosure and humidity is normal there should be no problem.

Last edited:
humidity and temps both fine, would they have to be too low or too high in order for RI to become a possibility? another thing to mention which may or may not be of relevance is a small but definite bulge in her neck, just behind her head. I figured that perhaps the yawning isn't yawning but instead threatening to strike as her eyes recently clouded over. thanks for your helpfulness

Not sure about the lump pics would help. they will re-adjust jaws after feeding but I only observe this 1 or 2 times right after they have fed.

- - - Updated - - -

Out of interest what are temps (hot and ambient) and humidity sitting on?

Another possibility that "may" have been overlooked is Stomatitis this is commonly referred to as "Mouth Rot" reptiles will often yawn and stretch their jaws with this condition as well as R.I. to check for Stomatitis open their mouth and have a good look at their gums for dryness and particularly uneven redness in the gums, is "generally" a positive indicator of this condtion which tends to appear at this time of the year and during the "cooling down" period if done too quickly,
Constant heat and a GOOD quality mouth wash can often rid this condition if in the early stages, (by applying this with a cotton bud or similar), if well advanced anti-biotics "maybe" required. WR

If the temps are ok I doubt it would be RI. I also doubt that it would be mouth rot but as suggested it wouldn't hurt to have a gander but wait until it has shed. Clicking and popping sounds are pretty consistent with snakes that are about to shed. Given the fact that it's eyes have clouded over this is probobly the cause. See what happens after it's shed.

Cheers,

George.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back