heat bulbs

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

friendlyvaranus

Reaction score
Hi all was just wondering if there's any difference in the amount of heat emitted by different types of heat bulbs at the same wattage and are there any lamp specific benefits. Also is the only difference between them is the type of light they emit such as infrared and blue light.

The so-called energy efficient globes don't give off as heat as "normal" ones. We've always bought the Philips brand from Bunnings.

That's a pretty vague question.
There are many bulbs available and each has its own pros and cons.

Typical bulbs include:

Incandescent (The old style house bulbs)

Fluorescent (Tube and spiral)

Fluorescent UV spectrum (specially designed to allow more UV transmission)

Halogen (High heat output)

Incandescent Spot/flood (PAR 38 Globes, etc)

Mercury Vapour

Metal-halide (Variation of Mercury Vapour)

You need to go and research these types of bulbs on the google.
Every globe emits varying levels of light in the visible spectrum, UV A, B and C and Infrared (heat). A 60 Watt incandescent light also produces far less heat than a 60 Watt Halogen. So Yes, there is a difference.
Do some reading around and come back with a more specific question related to a particular species and bulb/s you're curious about.

I currently am using a 150 watt reptile one infrared heat lamp and was thinking to switch to a ceramic I'm getting two varanus caudolineatus hopefully if not one

Last edited:
Ceramic emitters are much more efficient (they don't waste output through light) and so a lower wattage will produce a decent amount of heat.
Personally I don't think anyone should use 'infra-red' lamps as when was the last time you looked outside and saw only red.

I've never personally used ceramic heaters for my reptiles as I keep mostly species that like to bask. I would suggest you purchase a par 38 spotlight. Its the same wattage as your 'reptile one' but should cost under $10. Small arid monitors are very active and like a high temp basking site, upwards of 50 degrees. If your monitor is spending all day under its heat lamp, than the site isn't hot enough. They like to boost their temperature and then forage around for food. I wouldn't recommend a ceramic heater as I don't personally feel it stimulates the proper basking behaviour of diurnal lizards.
Whether or not you give your monitors UV is up to you, but many keepers feel a whole food diet is good enough for a healthy animal.
I personally do both, and either keep my monitors outdoors permanently or provide them with natural sunlight on a regular basis.

Monitors need heat, forget the IR & ceramic globes, as mentioned above use some clear globes available from Bunnings, they come in 60w, 75w or 100w from memory & have a nice wide beam. You'll get a nice hot basking spot.

See here for link to globes.

Last edited:
Ahhk im using an exo terra glass terrarium, so im propping up a basking spot as close as safely possible to the heat sorce and am getting from around fifty degrees on low room temp up to around 57 58 degrees at a bit higher room temps, its at 52 degrees at the moment and room temp is 21 degrees.

Monitors love it hotter than most other reptiles; the temps you describe are in the ideal range. Depending on the size of your tank, whether you use a PAR 38 or 100w Philips globe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back