Young sandy with a cold?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smittiferous

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Recently (as of last week actually) acquired my very first monitor, V. Gouldii, and couldn't be happier with the little guy/girl. 8-9 inches long. Loads of fun to watch. I noticed yesterday it hadn't been terribly interested in dinner, but I figured it'd been snacking on some crickets that got away and hid while I wasn't looking. I did notice some sand on it's snout, covering a nostril, but assumed it had run through it's water bowl, got wet and the sand had stuck and would brush off.

I got home from work today to find the same behaviour, apparent lack of interest in food and the sand still sticking to its nostrils (both, now). It's breathing also strikes me as a little odd, not a regular shallow sort of breathing as I would expect... please see below:

[video=youtube;EV9ap1IMbIc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV9ap1IMbIc[/video]

Since recording that an hour ago I have since observed it obviously breathing through its mouth on occasion and also "sneezing".

I'm fairly sure it is eating, as when I managed to get a hold of it to have a closer look it expressed it's discontent as monitors apparently do, by relieving itself on me, and it has left scat in the enclosure since I scooped it out yesterday.

It otherwise seems its usual active self, climbing and digging and investigating everything.

I'm starting to get more than a little concerned though... I don't want the little feller to meet an early end.

Cage info:

1200x 450 x 450 melamine box w/ 100 watt spot heat and 50 watt ceramic for night warmth. Furniture is all brand new and has been thoroughly cleaned anyway prior to use. Temp range from 26-28 (cold end) to 35 ambient with basking spot at 50-52 on average. Water bowl is down the cold end.

I wouldn't be too concerned just yet. If it is "sneezing", then it should sort itself out. And if it is still active, and eating and pooping, that is a sign that it is ok. The weather is a bit up and down still, so this might account for it not being interested in eating. Our two sandies are starting to get their appetites back now.

Sometimes monitor's make a sneezing sound but they're just blowing excess air through their nose to expel salt. If he's eating & defecating well, is active & your temps are good then I wouldn't be too concerned, monitor's are pretty tough.

Well, I haven't observed him eating, but he did poo on me last night, so he had something in his guts. Might be that he's snacking on some crickets still in there while I'm at work. Is it worthwhile clearing the sand that's constantly stuck to his nostrils? Damp cotton tips?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Well, I haven't observed him eating, but he did poo on me last night, so he had something in his guts. Might be that he's snacking on some crickets still in there while I'm at work. Is it worthwhile clearing the sand that's constantly stuck to his nostrils? Damp cotton tips?

He looks quite healthy & well fed, you've only had him a short time so just leave him be for a few weeks, continue putting food in there & cleaning up the crap but ignore him otherwise. Gouldii are prolific diggers/burrowers, he'll probably always have sand on his face at times. Has he got some hides, is the substrate deep enough that he can dig a burrow & get underground?

He has two hides, one down the cool end and a cork hide approximately two thirds up towards the spot heat. Substrate is on average 50-60mm thick. It's marketed as desert sand from the pet shop, but the material's angle of repose is so low that I don't think it'll hold up very well for tunnelling at all. I've seated both hides on the floor and filled sand around them and inside him to give him something to burrow into which he does do.

We just use the bagged playsand from Bunnings in all of our monitor and lizard enclosures. The sandies somehow manage to damp it enough from their water bowl to tunnel.

Looks to me from the vid that he see's you as a threat and your spooking him, which is why he is breathing rapidly and deeply. Give him heaps of time like Chris says to get used to you not being a threat. That is probably why you got crapped on too.

Champion just leave the little critter alone and it'll be fine. As cement has mentioned it's only young and your more than likely spooking it without realising it. Try placing a little bit of chicken mince on a solid base and leave it in the enclosure, that way you can see if it's eating without continually disturbing it. I'd also get rid of the desert sand and replace it with the playsand as suggested by the pinefamily.

Cheers,

George.

After a few days of observation, he seems just fine, but I definitely think he's of the opinion I want to eat him. If I peek around the corner I can see him doing his thing but soon as he notices me, he retreats and peeks out from behind his rocks.

I have his enclosure set up in my office, the logic behind this is so he can see me when I'm in there doing my thing so he gets used to human presence without being constantly interacted with... am I doing the right thing there? I can move it to a quiet room but he'll never see people then.

No, where he is is fine. Just don't pick him up, or chase him around. Like said, ignore him.. just clean the tank etc but let him realize that you aren't interested in him, he will get bolder over time, but if you harass him or pick him up to handle, it will put him back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back