Keeping insects where they belong

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

timothyng1998

Not so new Member
Reaction score
So most people would know Vaseline and fluon does good job keeping woodies inside their tub. Anyone knows if other types of lubricant works?
I'm looking at wd40 (special) dry lube.
Any advice would be great

Don't know about WD40 but i do know someone who swears by the silicon spray that is used to lube vertical blinds and slide curtain tracks, he reckons the little buggers have Hadies chance of getting a grip on it. :) ................Ron

The WD40 is working at the moment, just don't know if warmth, moisture and stuff would destroy it. Would be too late by the time i find out it stopped working.

Why not just use Vaseline or fluon? Both work fantastic and its not like they are overly expensive or hard to get a hold of. The nou downside that I'm aware of is the fact that it doesn't look the best... Maybe an oil or wax based product might work?

I pay about $36 for 100 mm of fluon delivered. That is not cheap. I will try the silicon spray

- - - Updated - - -

Don't know about WD40 but i do know someone who swears by the silicon spray that is used to lube vertical blinds and slide curtain tracks, he reckons the little buggers have Hadies chance of getting a grip on it. :) ................Ron

Thanks Ron

Really? Wow. I saw some not so long ago for a lot cheaper then that lol can't remember what site it was though, might have been ebay

Is poisoning a consideration? I cant imagine WD40 being good to consume for the insects or further on down the food chain!

I would like to buy the Fluon powder and mix it myself. I think I might have a better chance of finding rocking horse poo.
I have tried several lots of fluon and found one lot better than the others. A mate bought some really cheap. That reminds me I must ask how it is going.
I have 34 woodie tubs so can't afford to have any getting out. I have to set up some more this weekend so will try a sample in a tub with the silicone. I am sure WD40 Special dry lube is silicone. Hmmm I think that is the one I have. I will report back on my findings

Last edited:
I was just watching a youtube video by a guy called ants Canada that was talking about using a mixture of baby powder and rubbing alcohol to keep his ants in.. I have no personal experience with keeping any kind of insects myself.. but if it works for ants then I guess it should work for woodies and such?

I set up a new tub today and used the silicone spray. I had just screened all my babies from the breeders and put half the babies in the silicone tub. They are a bit over crowded which should test the silicone. At the time of putting them in not one attempted to pass over the silicone. They marched up to the line and stopped. I have to duck out and feed so will check them again. If any change I will get back on here and let you know

I've tried the WD40 special both the dry PTFE and the wet PTFE. I was quite hopeful that they would work as fluon is a type of PTFE from what I gather. Unfortunately I only got results when I sprayed on copious amounts and it remained wet so it was not much better then vasoline for me.

Does the silicon spray cure dry like fluon does?

I have found after dusting some woodies in a separate tub and giving them a swirl they can not climb up the sides. so I now rub some of the left over powder to the sides of the woodies tub and note they have fallen off every time... So far.
I gave up on fluon as it to pricey for me.

Sorry all it is back to Fluon for me. The WD40 Special silicone while wet was great. This afternoon I checked and found babies going over the top. A gave their egg trays a bit of a rattle and up the sides they went straight over the silicone.
I applied plenty to the top 50mm inside of the tub. It did run down the sides and was pooling on the bottom edges. I wiped out the excess. This afternoon was all dry. I was hopeful but glad I didn't set up a tub of large ones to trial it.
Vaseline is far too messy for me so I will continue with the expensive Fluon. Now up to 37 tubs of woodies so I think the convenience of it out weighs the cost.

Fluon is really the only viable option IMO. Vaseline does work until you get a heat wave come through and it melts to the bottom of the tub, it's pretty messy and a really pain to effectively clean up. I only have 8 tubs now but did at the peak had 20 till phased in a different diet. As expensive as a bottle of it is so far for me it's lasted 3 or 4 years. A few tubs are still going with only the one coat in that time.

I guess Fluon seems like the best option, where should i buy mine? I know lots of places that sells them, even eBay. But where is the best place? good quality? Thanks

I guess Fluon seems like the best option, where should i buy mine? I know lots of places that sells them, even eBay. But where is the best place? good quality? Thanks
I use Livefoods who is a sponsor of this forum. I tried Reptiles Direct but not really convinced it works as good as Livefoods fluon. Woodies in overcrowded situations will go over the fluon regardless of which you use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back