universal rock backgrounds?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As pinefamily said, Google is your friend. The stuff is sold as "EPS Panel". Sometimes the big hardware chains carry it or similar. Perhaps even a rendering supplier may carry it.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

polystyrene, heat gun, pva, liquid sandstone, oxide tints. $50 + time + lots of observation of local sandstone.

Bit busy at the moment, might put up some more from the diamond aviary later.

Attachments

• honeycomb.jpg
    honeycomb.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 101
  • rockart.jpg
    rockart.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_5852.jpg
    IMG_5852.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_5849.jpg
    IMG_5849.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 96
Best homemade one's I've seen, Jack. Is the one with the hand stencils real or homemade?

These are some that I have made from other people using polystyrene, cerment, and acrylic paints
imagejpeg
imagejpeg
imagejpeg
imagejpeg
imagejpeg

Buy the time you've bought all the gear, experimented and spent a few hours on it, you would probably be financially ahead and saved yourself some time/ effort by purchasing one of the Universal backgrounds. Lightweight, retain heat well, look good, no nasty out gassing or toxic chemicals for you/ or your herps and will last forever. These are going on 9 years old now, outside in the UV and all weather and still look as good as the day I bought them home.

What's the rough price of one of those rock panels and are they easy to get hold of nation-wide?
I'm thinking of having something like that as a waterfall in an outdoor pit I'm about to build, basically having a hose run up the back so water runs over it into a pond I already have. But it would need a back on it as it won't be flush to the wall. So considering trying to make a free-standing one with wire mesh and expandable foam etc but have never done this before.
Any tips from the DIY guys?

These come with provision for fitting pump, etc for a water feature already, but run out at $1200 for a 2M squared panel like this. I have Lace monitors in there and the panels do hold up well to grappling hook claws while also maintaining good surface temps of 50C + on a 25C ambient day
; they'd need to at that price:).

- - - Updated - - -

For larger outdoor panels with big lizards, have you considered concrete over mesh? I know some zoo displays use this to great effect in permanent set ups. As Jack mentioned, you need to have a good eye for the sort of habitat you want to create, otherwise you can end up with something that looks like a glossy pile of poo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back