Dealing witb a baby huntsman spider plague ....

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

Reaction score
Looking at my lounge room ceiling I have about a few dozen baby huntsmen spiders hanging out near the light (I think they've only just hatched as they are only 3- 4 mm across the legs).

Before I kept lizards as pets and had feeder insects to consider in the house I would simply give such plagues a blast with the Mortein insect spray or surface spray , but I don't want to risk my pet lizards , and don't want to kill my feeder insects in the process.

Thinking of getting a bit of Acrylic tube to put on the end of our vaccum cleaner and removing them this way but it will be tedious expensive (buying the acrylic tube (about 2-3m long).

Any suggestions .....

Give them a visit from good 'ole doctor shoe,or you can create a really large bug catching jar,or you could use a broom.

Give them a visit from good 'ole doctor shoe,or you can create a really large bug catching jar,or you could use a broom.

I was hoping not to have to harm them.... but I guess I have no choice else before long I'll have a house full of big huntsman spiders (yes I know they are harmless) but I really would really have them living outside than inside.

Think I've come up with way of removing them - unfortunately it'll likely kill them ( :( ) , a broom handle with a bit cardboard tacked to the end (covered with the sticky side facing up with sticky tap). Will be laborious but will work.

A couple of AHGs will soon sort them out...

Jamie

- - - Updated - - -

Seriously, they will disperse and move outside of their own accord fairly quickly, or they will starve or dehydrate if they stay inside. Very highly unlikely that they could grow to maturity inside. If it was me I wouldn't worry about them. They (the babies) eat mosquitoes - that has to be a good thing!

Jamie

[MENTION=41275]kingofnobbys[/MENTION], AAA+++ to what Jamie said they will only stay for a couple of days till their 1st moult and will then leave to find some territory to call their own. Please don't kill them or that will put you in the same class as the snake beheaders as far as the Arachnologists on here are concerned. :( :( .........................Ron

- - - Updated - - -

Those little babies will grow into a magnificent creature like this 1 that i encourage to live behind my wall mounted TV, she was only about the size of a 50 cent piece when i brought her inside from the shed, she is now the size of my fully outstretched hand, my wife now tolerates them after finding out that they love to eat those damn German Roaches. :) ......................Ron

Attachments

• 20151011_233230.jpg
    20151011_233230.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 524
A couple of AHGs will soon sort them out...

Jamie

- - - Updated - - -

Seriously, they will disperse and move outside of their own accord fairly quickly, or they will starve or dehydrate if they stay inside. Very highly unlikely that they could grow to maturity inside. If it was me I wouldn't worry about them. They (the babies) eat mosquitoes - that has to be a good thing!

Jamie

No mozzies here yet .... I wish they'd eat the baby roaches I've spotted on the carpet lately.

Here's hoping they migrate back outside before long.

I've had the big ones come inside occasionally. I usually very gently coax them onto a broom to be deposited outside.

I agree with leaving them. I kept inverts for a while before reptiles, and huntsman spiders are vagrant spiders, meaning they will, as stated by Jamie, move out soon. Unless they are the Social Huntsman Spider (Delena Cancerides), and even then, they will likely also eat eachother, thus lowering their numbers.

I personally love to see them around, as it means less other spiders, mostly white tails, and less flies and mozzies. They also prefer to run than fight, so I am never too uneasy around them.

Anyway, do whatever makes you feel comfortable, but preferably do not kill them. @ronhalling put it well when he said that to invert keepers, this is our equivalent to killing a snake just because it is on our property.

Last edited:
Only a few last night up there on the ceiling. So I guess they are wondering off or dying off.

Yes they are all that , and very nice looking too. Still 2 places I'd rather they away from : inside with us (my wife is very fearful of spiders) and on the inside of the car windows (that just creeps me out when that happens), their place is in the garden , in the shed.

[MENTION=21299]dragonlover1[/MENTION] they are still venomous but the venom is not going to harm you, the bite itself might hurt, not that I know anyone who has been bitten by a huntsmen lol [MENTION=41275]kingofnobbys[/MENTION] I agree you should just let them be and let them move out on there own accord and even if they stay and disperse around the house, you can just coach them onto the broom stick when you find one and move it outside ;)

I had that problem a while ago in my exes bathroom, he was such a girl when it came to spiders he was going to buy mortien to spray them (idiot). I used a vacuum with a sock over the end secured by a hairband and got them all without any damage to the spiderlings.

@dragonlover1 they are still venomous but the venom is not going to harm you, the bite itself might hurt, not that I know anyone who has been bitten by a huntsmen lol @kingofnobbys I agree you should just let them be and let them move out on there own accord and even if they stay and disperse around the house, you can just coach them onto the broom stick when you find one and move it outside ;)

a friend of my son (while still at school years ago) had a huntsman in a little box and would deliberately get the spider to bite him,it left a red mark but that's all

Wow he was an idiot lol he could have easily had an allirgic reaction and gone into anaphlatic shock.....

[MENTION=40362]CrazyNut[/MENTION], you are dead right about the allergy thing, before Reptiles i used to keep "T's" and got bitten a few too many times and became allergic to their venom, even the bite of a huntsman now makes me balloon up. :) .....................Ron

No mozzies here yet .... I wish they'd eat the baby roaches I've spotted on the carpet lately.

Here's hoping they migrate back outside before long.

I've had the big ones come inside occasionally. I usually very gently coax them onto a broom to be deposited outside.
That's my method!! Chase them out with a broom or chase them into a bucket & carry them outside!!!
I agree with leaving them. I kept inverts for a while before reptiles, and huntsman spiders are vagrant spiders, meaning they will, as stated by Jamie, move out soon. Unless they are the Social Huntsman Spider (Delena Cancerides), and even then, they will likely also eat eachother, thus lowering their numbers.

I personally love to see them around, as it means less other spiders, mostly white tails, and less flies and mozzies. They also prefer to run than fight, so I am never too uneasy around them.

Anyway, do whatever makes you feel comfortable, but preferably do not kill them. @ronhalling put it well when he said that to invert keepers, this is our equivalent to killing a snake just because it is on our property.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Yes they are all that , and very nice looking too. Still 2 places I'd rather they away from : inside with us (my wife is very fearful of spiders) and on the inside of the car windows (that just creeps me out when that happens), their place is in the garden , in the shed.
Not to mention the fear of them crawling on your face in the night. That's all I can ever yhink of.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Got very used to them over the years doing tree removals, particularly trees that had succumbed to ivy infestations. Not much you can do up a tree when one crawls up your arm.

Whilst we are still on the subject of these beautiful creatures, she decided to come out for a wander this morning and must have been spraying some pheromones around as a male has come sniffing around as well, 1st pic is showing how big she is sitting atop the 55" wall mounted tv, the 2nd is the male (take note of his size compared to the cornice and the fact he has just nailed a daddy long legs and has his eyes on a small house spider) the 3rd is the female in comparison with the cornice and the 4th is just showing what a beautiful pattern she has. :) :) :) .................Ron

(hmmm looks like i need to get the cobweb broom out lol)

Attachments

• 20151023_071626.jpg
    20151023_071626.jpg
    641.9 KB · Views: 76
  • 20151023_072258.jpg
    20151023_072258.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 68
  • 20151023_072710.jpg
    20151023_072710.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 73
  • 20151023_070759.jpg
    20151023_070759.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
She's a beaut Ron, I really like Huntsman spiders, the only time I relocate them outside is if they are in danger of getting eating by the dog (climbing down the walls). I just grab a container, place it over the spidey, slide a piece of paper between the wall and container and hold the paper over the top, or if it's night time, I just stick a lid on it and wait till morning to put spidey outside.

The only spider I will foot stomp on is a white tail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back