Gecko requirements

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BredliFreak

Reaction score
Hi all,

I reckon I should get some geckos, and these are the ones we can keep in the ACT:

Gekkonidae *****ly Gecko Heteronotia binoei
Thick-tailed Gecko Underwoodisaurua milii
Robust Velvet Gecko Oedura robusta
Tryon's Velvet Gecko Oedura tryoni
Southern leaf-tailed Gecko Phyllurus platurus
Marbled Gecko Phyllodactylus marmoratus
Stone Gecko Diplodactylus vittatus
Pygopodidae Common Scaly Foot Pygopus lepidopodus
Inornate Legless Lizard Delma inornata
Black-headed Scaly Foot Pygopus nigriceps

I would like to know requirements i.e

Heating, humidity temps etc.
Food
Enclosure size
Good substrate
anything else worth knowing about these guys!

Bare in mind they will need some form of heating, especially in winter (bearing in mind this is CANBERRA we are talking about!).

Thanks,
Bredli

Purchase yourself a copy of "A guide to Australian geckos and pygopods in captivity" by Dr Danny Brown. This book will cover any and all queries you have on the care of all the species you have just listed.

Cheers Cameron
[h=1][/h]

Agree with what Cameron said. I always suggest the thicktails as a first gecko, because the others are escape artists.

I've been eyeing that book for a while now but now I will definitely buy it! I was keen on the thickies because they are the closest to Nephrurus, and I have the perfect tank for a pair or trio (trying to convince parents to let me breed them). I wasn't as keen on the marbleds as we have a local population of them around the house so I don't really need a captive one. I was keen on the velvets, leaftails and the hooded scalys as well.

Bredli

That's a big list and a big ask for others to provide all the required info regarding keeping those species. If you are keen on keeping any of them, the research you do into those species will be valued learning.
That said thick tails are a good introduction to geckos. They are pretty hardy and compare to other species have keeping requirements that are easier to meet compared to some of the others.
On another note: since when has Marbled geckos been know as Phyllodactylus marmoratus? I thought they were Christinus marmoratus.

Yeah, the scientific names are a bit oudated... I mean, shinglebacks are still apparently Trachydosaurus >.<

Thanks for that, I reckon thickies are my first option but I am keen on the platurus in particular as well. On a side note, is there any threads with a good tutorial on how to make a DIY incubator?

Bredli

@BredliFreak, A couple of years ago another member with the handle Crazy_Snake08 put a thread in the DIY section about building a good cheap incubator from an old bar fridge, i saved it for future use and will now copy it here for you on the understanding that all kudos for this incubator goes to Crazy_Snake08, it is the best step by step instructions with pictures i have seen to date, hope it helps. :) ..................Ron

after clicking on the word doc you should find the executable link on the bottom left side of this thread :)

Attachments

• Making a Cheap Incubator.doc
    333.5 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Thanks for that, do you know if it would work for geckoes?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, could you house two thickies and a pygo in the same tank, or would the thickies eat it?

As a beginner keep to one species per enclosure. There are some species that will co-habitat, but most the time that's another level of keeping. Lets walk before trying to run.

Thanks for that, do you know if it would work for geckoes?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, could you house two thickies and a pygo in the same tank, or would the thickies eat it?

As far as i know eggs are eggs, find out what the optimum incubation temps are for the "Gecko's" set that on the thermostat and Bob's your Uncle or Fanny is your downfall whichever works for you lol. :) ....................Ron

Bar fridge will work fine. You will need to drill a hole in the back to feed the heatcord and temp sensor into it, pretty easy job.
If you only have a few geckos breeding a polystyrene box will suffice. A couple of bottles filled with water in the incubator will help stabilize the temperature and lessen fluctuations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back