SWCP - Wheezing noise when breathing

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GilesColey

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I was holding my SWCP when I heard a little wheezing sound coming from her mouth/nostrils when she breathes. It doesn't happen on every breath but I can hear it occasionally

She has shed about 2 weeks ago and I have checked for any skin flaps and cant see anything around her nostrils. There is no liquid or mucus or anything and she has not been acting strangely

Should I raise the temp/humidity a little and just keep an eye on her or should I get her down to a vet as soon as possible

Thanks all

Hey mate as long as she is behaving normally eating fine no Mucas etc she should be ok one of mine has a slight weeze and squeak every now and then when handling which concerned me at first but he is otherwise healthy. When they exert themselves a bit they will also let out a good breath of air.

Our coastals often have a wheezing/whistling noise. Even our big MD makes a bit of noise when he's out and about, as Prof_Moreliarty said.

Thanks for your help, I will keep an eye on her and make sure there's no mucus or anything. I was only concerned because it was the first time I heard it

Yes, it can be a concern when you hear it for the first time. Especially when you read about RI and its symptoms.

Just remember that, often, when you handle a python, it is probably doing more exercise than it would prefer to do, and not at a preferred pace, so some signs of exertion are not unusual. These are quiet, fairly slow moving critters, which spend large amounts of time doing nothing - not moving at all. The fact that we keep prodding them and picking them up and carting them around at times when they would prefer to be left alone (this is probably all the time actually...) will naturally cause some kind of response.

Jamie

my shinglebacks make the same noise and my ball python did too, if there's no mucous/tears then its not a respiratory issue so it could be increased exertion like the above commentators state

Just remember that, often, when you handle a python, it is probably doing more exercise than it would prefer to do, and not at a preferred pace, so some signs of exertion are not unusual. These are quiet, fairly slow moving critters, which spend large amounts of time doing nothing - not moving at all. The fact that we keep prodding them and picking them up and carting them around at times when they would prefer to be left alone (this is probably all the time actually...) will naturally cause some kind of response.

Jamie
Hahaha now I'm just picturing all pythons as overweight kids with asthma.
No offence to overweight kids with asthma (I was one).

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back