Common green tree snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue1V

Reaction score
Hi all. I am new to green tree snakes. How difficult are they to keep?

Any advice for a newbie is good advice.
Thanks

It's not that they are difficult to keep, they are just very different to pythons, elapids and even other colubrids.

I've kept and bred them in the past and found them easy to keep but they are time consuming if you plan on getting them on to rodents.

Fairly easy, minimal handling and a horizontal enclosure with plenty of climbing. if you keep them invest in a seperate aquarium and start breeding live bearers (Molly's are largest and work best). Forget about getting them onto rodents, not their natural diet and not worth the hassle anyway.

Fish are not their main food source in the wild either, and quite honestly I see it as a lazy approach to keeping them.
Height is not overly important for them either. I've kept them in 2 meter tall aviaries and 60cm tall enclosures and saw no difference in behaviour or habits.

Fish are not their main food source in the wild either, and quite honestly I see it as a lazy approach to keeping them.
Height is not overly important for them either. I've kept them in 2 meter tall aviaries and 60cm tall enclosures and saw no difference in behaviour or habits.
What is best to feed them in captivity then?
In regards to feeding them fish do they have to be live fish or will they eat dead ones or pieces of fish?

What is best to feed them in captivity then?
In regards to feeding them fish do they have to be live fish or will they eat dead ones or pieces of fish?

I get all of mine on to rodents, they will eat both live and dead fish in captivity.
I opt for rodents because they get more nutrition from them than they will fish alone.

Thanks for the great advice. Anyone know where I can get a blue phase. Does not have to be a juvenile. Thanks.

Any tips on getting them onto rodents? Will the need to take them live?

Thanks for the great advice. Anyone know where I can get a blue phase. Does not have to be a juvenile. Thanks.

I know amazing Amazon has blue ones

There are a few techniques, the easiest is using a frog to scent the mice.
Find a road kill frog, cut it in to small pieces, freeze it, defrost one piece of frog per food item and use it to scent the rodent.

I know amazing Amazon has blue ones

No they don't. Haven't had them for years. I spoke to them last week

- - - Updated - - -

There are a few techniques, the easiest is using a frog to scent the mice.
Find a road kill frog, cut it in to small pieces, freeze it, defrost one piece of frog per food item and use it to scent the rodent.

Very clever thanks for that. Now where would i find a road kill from in Melbourne lol...

No they don't. Haven't had them for years. I spoke to them last week

- - - Updated - - -

Very clever thanks for that. Now where would i find a road kill from in Melbourne lol...

A road would be a good starting place ;) look for one after rain.
Just make sure you freeze it for a month before using it to kill any worms present.

LOL thanks for that tip. I have never seen a frog on a road but i will now keep an eye out.

Did anyone have any luck finding breeders wouldnt mind adding ine to my collection

Thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back