New to lizards

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jabberhatter

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I've finally done enough research to be able to get a bearded dragon, I am currently reading
A Guide To Australian Dragons In Captivity by Danny Brown to make sure I've got everything covered
I am just wondering if anyone has had any dealings with amazing amazon and if they are good, I will be using them to get everything I need for my lizard and maybe even getting my dragon from them.
I am looking at getting a four foot pine tank that is tall enough that I can allow the lizard to climb around, as well as deep enough to allow my lizard to have some spots to dig in and burrow.

Amazing amazon are good in my books. A little bit pricey but they ar ea pet store afterall. Your tank needs to be long rather then high. The more room they have to run around in the better. They don't need a high enclousre, an enclosure that is 50cmW, 60cmH and 100cmL is a good size.

Amazing amazon are good in my books. A little bit pricey but they ar ea pet store afterall. Your tank needs to be long rather then high. The more room they have to run around in the better. They don't need a high enclousre, an enclosure that is 50cmW, 60cmH and 100cmL is a good size.

Thank you so much, I will look in to getting a tank like that instead of the other tank I was looking at. I just want to make sure that the tank is as perfect as I can get for him so it doesn't get to small as he grows.

While that is ok a 4 foot long tank would be ideal as a forever home

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Your welcome. Keep in mind though bigger is usally better if you can get a bigger tank then I recomeded go for it. Bigger will be more expensive.

Welcome, great to see your doing your reading first. Kudos to you.
If we are recommending stores Vic Reptiles in hoppers crossing are good. Adam the owner is the head of the vic herpticultural society and a good egg. Otherwise there a quite a few reputable breeders in the Melbourne area , so maybe look out for them.
Don't be scared to ask questions when buying. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

I think a 100L tub with clear sides (about the size you mention) is ideal for a hatchling or a juvenile , will not be overwhelmed by all the extra space and will not loose it's live insects as easily in a smaller enclosure as they will in a full sized 4ft x 2ft footprint enclosure. They grow FAST so inside 8-9 months the beardie will be outgrowing the rearing tub and be more than ready to move into it's new enclosure.

You'll find a 13W UVB200 will provide sufficient UVA and UVB (resist the temptation to buy cheap home brand UV globes or MVBs - they are a false economy and may actually be harmful to your beardie's health), can install a Nano Compact Top reflector to the underside of the lid, or simply hang a dome style reflector from under the lid (using suitable hardware).

Make sure you ventilate the tank - easy done using a electric soldering iron (maybe 100 holes near the top at one end , same number near the bottom at the other end.

Last edited:
Your welcome. Keep in mind though bigger is usally better if you can get a bigger tank then I recomeded go for it. Bigger will be more expensive.

I would love to get them a really big enclosure, but I think that a four foot tank will be as high as I can go with the money I have.

Welcome, great to see your doing your reading first. Kudos to you.
If we are recommending stores Vic Reptiles in hoppers crossing are good. Adam the owner is the head of the vic herpticultural society and a good egg. Otherwise there a quite a few reputable breeders in the Melbourne area , so maybe look out for them.
Don't be scared to ask questions when buying. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

Thank you so much, I live three hours away from Melbourne, so trips have to be planned ahead of time and the only shop I knew of that had lizards was Amazing Amazon. I'm looking at Vic Reptiles right now, and I think I might end up doing a trip to Hoppers Crossing soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back