Enclosure advice

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BPalmer

Reaction score
Hi All,

Please accept my apologies if I use incorrect terminology at all as I am new at all things reptile.

I purchased a new member of our family 10 days ago now, a Yearling High Yellow Diamond Python we called "Hunter" and looking for some advice.

He is approx. 950mm long now and I have him in a 600x300x400 enclosure which he loves. I understand that he isn't going to stay small for ever so need to look at upgrading his enclosure within the next few months. I understand fully grown he is going to grow quite large but I would like to ask you all what your recommendations are for enclosures. Some people appear to prefer sliding glass doors, while others use hinged doors. Are there any preferences between the two that you may have personally encountered?

I understand that there are also enclosures that are much taller in height which I think will be more suitable for a Diamond Python to allow him room to climb rather than a longer but short enclosure.

I have seen a few Reptile One Vivariums in local shops, which are 1200 x 600 x 1200 (https://www.reptileone.com.au/products/housing/46167bk). Do you think these would be suitable or am I better off building one myself?

Look forward to any advice that you are all able to provide to ensure I don't look over anything when I upgrade!

Thanks everyone for their time,
Brendan
attachment.php

Attachments

• 20151111_111625.jpg
    20151111_111625.jpg
    330.6 KB · Views: 333
Up to you but building yourself is much cheaper I'm currently building 2 1200x600x600 out of white melamine chip board for a couple of my younger carpets and the outlay is gonna be roughly $200-$230 (that's including glass,fittings etc)for both. I just went to bunnings and got a couple of 1200x2400 sheets and got them to cut the chip board to the size. On top of that cost it depends how you want to heat the enclosure I will be trying out a 40w heat radiator as I already have one lying around.

I built my own, 6ft high, 4ft wide, 2 ft deep. Use sliding glass on runners. A second one I built 3 ft wide but better designed based on some learnings from my first.
Some shelves at different heights, add something to climb on and thats about it.

Compared to building 3 high enclosures for BHP's I found these particularly easy as there was minimal cutting involved.

Tall enclosure I would use hinged doors, sliding for enclosures that are longer than they are high just my personal preference.

I have a thread in DIY of an enclosure I knocked up not to long ago that turned out pretty well and cost me half the price of my original reptile one enclosure.

Depending on how handy you are, it will be cheaper to build yourself, as the others have said.
Here is a good guide for starting out: https://aussiepythons.com/forum/showthread.php/76861-Building-an-Enclosure-(by-Darren-Whittaker)
Hinged doors are probably better with taller enclosures, as the glass doesn't slide as easily, unless you have special track.
Converting old TV units and cupboards is another option. There are a few threads in the DIY section with people showing their handiwork.

I picked up a nice glass enclosure of gumtree, much nicer than anything I could of built myself. Fair enough DIY is cheaper if you're housing lots of animals but for just the one I don't see why you wouldn't get a nice professional enclosure to house it in.

I picked up a nice glass enclosure of gumtree, much nicer than anything I could of built myself. Fair enough DIY is cheaper if you're housing lots of animals but for just the one I don't see why you wouldn't get a nice professional enclosure to house it in.

Agreed if it's only going to be for one animal might as well go all out I've got 6 pythons and counting.

Hi brendan and welcome to the fabulous world of keeping a python. If you are at all handy, then I would suggest have a go at a conversion or a build from scratch. You will be able to get the enclosure the exact size you want and fit it out exactly as you want and to fulfil the requirements of Hunter. When it comes to conversions do some research, there are many options to do this not just TV Units. I have built quite a few conversions now and can tell you from experience, that reading the DIY threads here will give you heaps of great inspiration. Anyway as it has been said hinged doors on taller enclosures are a much better option and also provide much easier access for getting Hunter in and out and also for cleaning/maintaining the enclosure. The other added benefit of building yourself is the pride in having done it yourself. Once you read up on it, you will find it is not as hard to do as you might think IMO
Nice Diamond too by the way...Enjoy!!

I keep hearing people saying sliding glass is a pain on tall enclosures but mine are 6ft tall with sliders & I don't have any problems.
Then again I learned to put a partition across the front & have 2 sets of glass & tracks.

If I can find a pic I will post. Might not be the cheapest way using 2 sets of tracks but looks good & function is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back