Feeding quails exclusively

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Focus

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has experience with feeding their pythons exclusively on quail? Or at least as their staple. I've mixed them in over the years but have been considering switching to a more permanent regime with a few of my larger carpets. I'm just curious about long-term health...and I understand that it may be too early to tell as I don't know many keepers who do this.

Anyone with experience in this?

Cheers

I'm sure there are people on here that can help, but can I ask why? Quail is expensive as all hell isn't it?

It isn't expensive if you buy from a breeder(or breed them yourself), i know some keepers that have only been feeding japanese quails for a few years without issues.( It would be different if you were feeding day old chick lol)

Quail is expensive as all hell isn't it?

I'm able to to source quality quail at a good price, in large quantities it's cheaper than rats in my case.

I'm more than happy to stick to rats, but if quail is just as good I'm happy to go that way too. I've spoken with a few long-term keepers who have always incorporated quails into their feeding but don't think I've spoken to anyone who does it as a staple.

Thanks Shotta, good to know.

Wouldn't be a problem. Pythons often live in circumstances where they get a consistent supply of one type of food more than another, some eat mostly birds, others eat rats & mice, as long as the animal/bird is whole, guts, feathers/fur and all, it represents a completely nutricious meal.

Jamie

Thanks Jamie, that's what I was thinking, but good to have it confirmed.

I don't like feeding hatchies/ juvies soley on birds aka quails because they are lower in calcium due to having hollow bones

I do like to mix them in with rabbits and rats occasionally but only on my snakes that arnt fussy :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back