Maybe I can Change your Minds...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hiram (and others) there is a difference between domestic cats and feral cats. Most cat haters don't recognize the difference nor they see the different approach needed to solve the problems with feral cats, they just don't see the bigger picture. The domestic cat problem can be easily sorted out - if our politicians had the balls. Microchipping and registering cats is by no means effective measure, just like shooting feral cats doesn't put a dent into the populations. But many cat haters and shooters bash their chests and trumpet "I am an environmentalist"...... makes them feel good.

Exactly.

Observational note: the cat flamers are probably salty old codgers, refusing to be open minded on different opinions
@Herpo I'll have to agree with George on this one, whether they mean to kill or use it as a method of playing, they still do kill things, or injure them to say the least. I guess there are rare exceptions but a majority do have killing, or rather playing hard wired into their brains. A kid can put ants under a magnifying glass and burn them to death for fun but it's still genocide. (Wrong thread but can't be bothered to repost)

Of course we won't talk about the feral problem of mans best friend. I wonder how many dog owners there are that like to point fingers at cat owners for ecological destruction?

I should probably clear things up. I know cats always have the instinct. I was referring, as said by [MENTION=20031]Waterrat[/MENTION], domestic cats vs feral cats instincts. They still always have the instinct, very evident when you throw a squeaky toy at them and they kick it with their hind legs, biting ferociously.

Anyway, I'd like to reinforce what [MENTION=32194]Smittiferous[/MENTION] said. [MENTION=41275]kingofnobbys[/MENTION], if you've nothing to say other than hating cats, back off. As to anyone else here to hurl insults at these amazing creatures.

This thread has its merits and IMO a good example of where folks should agree to disagree as its obviously a heated topic.

I personally disagree with the "every cat is a killer" mentality due to my previous experiences with domestic and wild cats however i agree with the comments on natural instincts. If you replace the word cat with snake in most of the above comments you can understand the reactions (Well I can). Mind you I remember spending the weekends out with family shooting feral cats and other animals to come home covered in gore and have my siamese come out and greet us like a dog (mind you she was more dog than cat anyway) and after having a sniff she would dissapear inside again to laze about and do nothing.

Anyway, the point I am attempting to make is that everyone is entitled to their opinion however please respect Herpos request to keep the cat hate comments out of the thread, there are currently other threads where you can do that.

Totally agree with everything you just said Stuart, but this is a public forum and people are entitled to post their opinions where they like. People just can't be so sensitive, take it with a grain of salt and move on.

Hiram (and others) there is a difference between domestic cats and feral cats. Most cat haters don't recognize the difference nor they see the different approach needed to solve the problems with feral cats, they just don't see the bigger picture. The domestic cat problem can be easily sorted out - if our politicians had the balls. Microchipping and registering cats is by no means effective measure, just like shooting feral cats doesn't put a dent into the populations. But many cat haters and shooters bash their chests and trumpet "I am an environmentalist"...... makes them feel good.

This sounds like exaggeration and sensationalism. Cat haters..... i just re read the whole thread and don't see anyone blaming the cat.
The only big picture i see is that many more reptiles, and marsupials are killed by cats then cats killed by reptiles or marsupials..
To post a pro cat thread on a reptile site in a country where reptiles are decimated daily by cats, and expect to change minds is a big ask. I think this thread has been quite civil considering, with only one post containing namecalling..........

I've said all I want to say on the matter of free roaming cats (feral, stray, family pets = all the same vermin IMO and need to be gone).

Those who have cats, do the wild life in your area a favour and keep them inside and never let them roam freely or have access to native animals at any time, they will attack and kill them at the first opportunity - it's hardwired into them.

If you insist on letting your cat be around your pet lizards, snakes, birds, and smaller mammals, you are asking for trouble and when the cat turns on it and mauls it or kills it, don't come here expecting any sympathy (except perhaps for the poor victim animal), you'll get none.

It's quite obvious they need different approaches, it would be pretty hard to "ban" feral cats I'd assume.
I think most of us realise that shooting feral cats doesn't put a dent in their populations but it does a hell of a lot more than complaining on an internet forum ever will ;)

May I ask what you're doing to curb the population of feral cats?

No one (or at least not many) have the "murderous desire against these animals" for domesticated house pets the problem a lot of people have with them is when you have domesticated let putside to do what they wish and eventually become ferral. There are many many ferrle cats in the australian bush todays and all are cold hearted killers who devistate our wildlife. They are far worse then cane toads in my opiuion (its funny how if someone has a pet cane toad everyone loses their minds but they see someone with a cat and don't give two thoughts). And it is impossible and inpracticle to try and rehome all those cats (there isn't enough homes and shelters). Thats why there was that big fuss about the goverment trying to irarticate ferral domesticated cats. Anyway just a thought before you assume that wanting to kill ferall cats makes someone a killer and a hater of all cats.

I think that the main problem is the owners, as stated. Cats can be enjoyable pets, not to mention their therapeutic value and the responsible people deserve to have them. Almost all the people I know with a cat keep it indoors 24/7 and IMO it's the same with exotic animals (provided they get quarantined), if people can keep them responsibly, then there is no problem.

My nan has a cat and she does incredible amounts of work regarding native birds.

What if cats got banned as pets? I mean, ferals are still there and the same thing would probably happen to dogs, fish and horses etc. until we can only keep natives.
One thing you might not have considered is that there are people who dont reptiles or birds, and there isn't many native mammals that would make good pets. You may as well ban everything except herps, which wouldn't be fair and you know it.

Last edited:
I think that the main problem is the owners, as stated. Cats can be enjoyable pets, not to mention their therapeutic value and the responsible people deserve to have them. Almost all the people I know with a cat keep it indoors 24/7 and IMO it's the same with exotic animals (provided they get quarantined), if people can keep them responsibly, then there is no problem.
The owners definitely are the source. For those who think Bredli is crazy talking about therapeutic value, he is not. Research has revealed that petting a cat causes the release of a certain hormone, something that goes towards lowering your risk of heart attacks.

My nan has a cat and she does incredible amounts of work regarding native birds.

What if cats got banned as pets? I mean, ferals are still there and the same thing would probably happen to dogs, fish and horses etc. until we can only keep natives.
One thing you might not have considered is that there are people who dont reptiles or birds, and there isn't many native mammals that would make good pets. You may as well ban everything except herps, which wouldn't be fair and you know it.

Short drive to the post office yesterday to collect a parcel, in my street I saw at least a dozen cats roaming about and maybe 2 dogs roaming about. I expect there are 4 or 5 cats for every one 1 saw that were hidden from my view as drove down the street.
In my neighbourhood , I don't think anyone who has cats keeps them indoors or in runs , they all let their cats roam freely 24/7.

I guess you have a very small circle of cat loving associates/friends or go about with rose coloured glasses on and just don't see all those free roaming cats that are out and about at all hours of the day or night , probably because you don't see cats as a problem and don't want to see the uncontrolled cats. (Observer bias.)

Just drop the glasses, dude. This thread is for those who like cats. Wanna hate cats? Go ahead, but do it on your own thread.

[MENTION=41275]kingofnobbys[/MENTION] funny you say that, I am a dog lover, I have a ring of dog owners. Seems like you have an issue with your suburb. There are some places that are cat free, and others where they are practically everywhere.

Your metaphors are getting as old as your constant arguing, do yourself a favour by actually seeing beyond your own area.

I see ferals as a very BIG problem thankyou very much, don't assume anything about a person because of your stance compared to theirs.

Just drop the glasses, dude. This thread is for those who like cats. Wanna hate cats? Go ahead, but do it on your own thread.

No this thread is in a forum which in turn opens it up to discussion and everyone is entitled to their opinion.If you notice the thread title if it was only for cat lovers why would they need their minds changed?

FWIW cat free zone here always was,always will be.

No this thread is in a forum which in turn opens it up to discussion and everyone is entitled to their opinion.If you notice the thread title if it was only for cat lovers why would they need their minds changed?

FWIW cat free zone here always was,always will be.

LOL .... good point .... if it was intended only for cat lovers / cat worshippers the OP would have had no need to preach (to the converts) , but he actually was trying convert those who are indifferent or who think all cats (who are allowed outside to roam freely without human control) are a conservation/native animal protection issue.
He's upset that not everyone accepts his opinion as gospel and there are those of us who openly disagree (completely) with his opinion and can't be swayed by a few cute pictures of cats or his stories about how harmless and angelic his cat is and how it would never hurt any other critter ever .... yeh like we believe that.

Sorry man but you opened this can of worms.......your thread title suggests you wish to change the minds of non cat lovers.
This has gone where it was always going to go.

As I said in my earlier post I'm not a cat lover but the problem is not the cats but the owners.
Unfortunately this is the case with all types of animals, there are good & bad keepers, some people get a pet with all good intentions but then circumstances change. Others buy on the spur of the moment because the little kitten/puppy/hatchling looks oh so cute. They have no idea this living, breathing, feeling animal is going to grow to the size small room & god forbid they have to shovel some crap every day.
Reptile keepers will always feel slightly aggrieved as they are unable to keep exotics but cat's & dogs are allowed. Reptile keepers, certainly the ones that I know of keep their animals within the confines of the licensing regulations & if all the cat/dog owners did the same we wouldn't have the problem would we?
Unfortunately some people are not as ethical in their dealings with reptiles are they? We do have illegal exotics in Australia, we do have exotics released into the wild so there is also a problem with reptile keepers though the majority are doing the right thing.
Is it fair that you can own a cat but I was unable to bring my reptiles to Australia that I had owned for the best part of 20 years? Is it fair that a cat can be transported interstate without anyone even passing a 2nd glance? Try taking reptiles into WA from SA!
The rules stink and posting pics of cats on a reptile forum is only ever going to end up getting personal. You like cats , thats great. Take your pics & post them on a cat site. I'm on a reptile site to talk reptiles, not cats, dogs, birds or bloody pigs. If I want to talk, read or hear about how great cats are then I shall go to google and type CAT into the search engine.

Stuart, Can I suggest that as this is a reptile site that future posts on cats, dogs, pigs, horses or aunt annie are treated with the contempt they deserve & deleted. Time we got on with the one thing we all have in common, the thing that brings us all here. Aussie Pythons & Snakes as it says on the banner.

So when someone kills a feral cat (i could use the nice term "euthanase"), are they .....
breaking the law?
a murderous son of a B, who you wouldn't want to meet?
doing the wrong thing?

Is a feral cat - any cat that goes wandering?
only a cat that is homeless?

What is the difference between a feral cat and one that wanders with the owner not knowing where it is or what it does?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back