help - oversized prey - swallowing difficulty

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikey_mike

Reaction score
I think I just fed my 2 yo albino darwin python a prey item that's too large. She's been struggling to swallow it for half an hour.

I live in Alice Springs and regularly catch feral turtle doves & take them off to the local raptor shelter for euthanasia & raptor food. Thought I'd euthenase one & try my python on 1. It looked large but most of the volume seemed to be feathers so I thought I'd give it a go, Now I'm having a little panic attack as she persists in trying to swallow something that seems to be too large.

Any tips?

- - - Updated - - -

attachment.php

Attachments

• tutledove.jpg
    tutledove.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 454
Don't panic. Birds do seem to take longer to swallow than rats, I think its the sudden size change across the birds rib cage that does it.
Size looks fine to me & if it really is too big she will come off it.

Thank you for the reassuring comment, but its now been an hour and she's still going. 10/10 for persistence.
Time will tell.

Was the bird frozen for a while before feeding out, mate? I once fed a freshly road killed Rainbow Lorrie to an adult female MD resulting in a severe worm infestation. Re swallowing, she'd discontinue if it became to much for her imo.

Umm, no the turtledove came straight from the co2 chamber - just a wash off with tap water. I did consider parasites briefly, but I'm sorry to say - freezing won't necessarily kill parasites. They're tough buggers. The other thought that came to mind was that there's no reason to imagine that bred prey have fewer parasites than wild ones. Overcrowding, lack of predation etc...

Anyway, I'm perfectly willing to admit not only that I may be wrong, but also that i may have ****ed up big time. Anyone reading this thread don't do what I just did.

Cheers & thankyou Varanus.

- - - Updated - - -

Over 90 minutes now. 2 questions. 1) How persistent is my python? 2) How long am I going to spend watching a snake try to feed?

Last edited:
Could be a while, snakes can take several hours to get a meal down as i'm sure you are aware.

Could be a while, snakes can take several hours to get a meal down as i'm sure you are aware.

I wasn't aware - I'm much happier now Ive heard this. Several hours! Don't they have anything better to do?

Also, now I've been outed as a nervous & relatively inexperienced snake keeper what should I look out for to warn of a worm infestation?

- - - Updated - - -

Well she just swallowed it. Took almost 4 hours but she managed. She's busy trying to move the lump down her throat now & she hasn't managed to close her jaw yet, so I'm stlll worried, but I hope to post in a few days that shes totally fine.
She;s just shed a couple of weeks ago, but Im expecting that she might shed again after this meal.

- - - Updated - - -

24 hours later. Her jaw seems to be back in place - I haven't managed a good look, but I'm feeling happier. My python has an enormous bulge & hasn't managed to move away from the perch adjacent to the turtle dove swallowing action. She can't fit back inside her elevated nesting box & doesn't seem able to move the 1.5m to the ground where her other hides are located. I imagine shes feeling kind of vulnerable right now.

I won't be doing this again any time soon.

No shame in being "outed" mate, we all start somewhere:). Re a possible worm burden, the cheapest/ easiest way I've found has been to take a fresh fecal sample off to your local vet for a microscopic exam. As far as I'm aware, many herps carry some worms, but a high egg count (as in worm eggs) is what to look out for. Treatment once diagnosed can be very easily managed, just medication administered through a food item, then a further check up to see how evective the treatment's been. Hope this is useful. You're vet would be worth a visit.

Thanks again varanus, I probably won't go to the vet unless there's any sign of illness, but I'll be vigilant in looking for a problem.
Im pleased to report that my very bloated python went for a cruise around her aviary tonight. She seemed to be in hunting mode despite the largest bulge I've seen. I think I've gotten away with this one- the way the beak was pushing through her neck/ abdominal wall I was sure she'd perforate something. Apparently not. Seems like my little girl is a bit of a glutton.

the reassuring voices on this forum have been super helpful. Prompt, well informed advice. Hope I can offer similar support to someone else one day. Cheers.

One week later & all's well.
I just learnt that pythons can digest feathers & bone, but not bird seed.

[MENTION=31061]mikey_mike[/MENTION], it would seem your fears have all but been alleviated, I too had a bit of a panic the first time i gave my Spotties Rats i thought were way to big for them, but i discovered my panic was not warranted at all, it might have taken over 1 hour for them to get them down but get them down they did, i "was" properly amazed. :) ................Ron

My 23 mth old coastal took 2 hrs and 45 minutes to eat a jumbo quail! But no way was she dropping it Hahaa
I believe a good stretch is great for carpets in captivity!!!
6a2b761bd0aa753514242617979eb5dd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back