Albinism?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Herpo

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a lot of time to think lately, and I realise I don't really understand how Albinism works in snakes. How does a snake become Albino? Is it just a chance that a hatchling will lack the pigmentation (I think that's how it works)? If so, does that mean ay snake could just give birth to an albino?

I've heard the story of Blondie, but that hasn't really helped.
Thanks,
Herpo

Do you know the concept of heterozygous and homozygous? Essentially out in the wild there is a random small chance that there are hets (heterozygous) who carry the gene but not the phenotype (what it does aka looks) and then if two gets happen to mate then there is a chance that Albino offspring will occur (homozygous) which carries both the genotype and the phenotype. Brian barczyk has some good videos on it.

I guess all snakes probably have some kind of trait in them, whether it be a mutation like Albino or Axanthic or Hypo, or if it's just what their eyes look like etc. just like humans and you're either het, don't have it or you do.

So in easy terms a snake has to be carrying the albino gene meaning it is 'heterozygous' (aka het) for albino :)
While a 'homozygous' animal is one that is showing the albino gene :)
1a8f2834a4b4a6386caf9dd9b1cb3de6.jpg

So hets are carrying the gene :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back