Help with Yearling Darwin CP

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob_V

Reaction score
Hey,

So I have a yearling Darwin Carpet python. When I first got him I tamed him so he never bit me. In fact in the 9 months he never even tried to. I had to go away / I stopped handling him for a month and now all of a sudden every time I go near his enclosure / try and get him out he is constantly being REALLY defensive and therefore can't get near him. I don't want to get bit not because it will hurt (Which I doubt it will as he bit me once a week or two a go and it didn't) but for his sake. I don't want him to rip his teeth out or something.

So in other words, what is the best and safest way for me to re-tame him? I understand I will get bit but I want to put that chance to a real min. as possible.

Thanks, Jacob.

P.S I never had trouble with my Murray Darling. Once he was tamed he was always tamed. I went 2 months without handling him yet I could still go straight in and pick him up without him even checking me out.

Last edited:
You can't tame a snake as such, despite what some will tell you they actually don't like being handled but will tolerate it once they realise that you are not going to harm them. The main reasons snakes bite is because they are either hungry, feel threatened or cage defensive.

So it appears to me that it's a case of either more frequent feeding or upsizing the food and/or using a hook to remove it from it's enclosure before attempting to handle it.

George.

They don't actually "get tamed." They "get used" to being handled, so yours may have just got out of the habit. It may also be hungry - a change in feeding regimes can bring about a change in behaviour. Sometimes their behaviour can change for no reason we can see, and it can just as easily change back again. I suggest you get back into the routine you used to have and see how you go for a week of two.

It's fair to say that Darwins are not known for their "pet potential" either - they're probably not far behind Jungles in their dislike of being handled...

Jamie

Ha! Beat me to it George :)!

Thanks both for your answers!

Ahh, I see. Ok I will give it 2 weeks in a new routine and lets hope it he gets better. I never had a problem with him before though. He use to love being handled then he just started to hate it.

Again, Thanks for the info. :)

Jacob

Thanks both for your answers!

Ahh, I see. Ok I will give it 2 weeks in a new routine and lets hope it he gets better. I never had a problem with him before though. He use to love being handled then he just started to hate it.

Again, Thanks for the info. :)

Jacob

Yep Jacob, patience is the answer... just to point to George's comment again - snakes never "love" being handled, but many of them tolerate it. It's worth keeping that in mind throughout your keeping career, as you are likely to come across some that are happy to be manhandled, and others that don't tolerate it at all. If you are like me, you'll probably end up rarely, if ever, handling your reptiles as "pets," and just enjoy them for what they are.

Jamie

Hi Jacob. How are you getting him out of his enclosure? Some pythons become cage defensive and feel threatened by a hand coming in. Try getting him out with a hook and you might find he is still the same in your hands.
I can't explain the change, just thought this might help ya out.
Or... How long has he been angry? Is it possible he's in shed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back