Sowing the Seeds of Interest

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Herpo

Reaction score
Hi all,

So, my brother and sister recently got their new teacher for the year, and, knowing I own a snake, they asked if I would be ok with bringing him. So I brought him into my sisters class today, and helped the teacher get over her fear. It was awesome to see her go from glancing strokes to handling him in such a short time, and I caught snippets of kids going "I want one!". I was amazed once more at Popeye's temperament. He let himself get stroked by, in all, around 60+ kids, and he never tried to bite.

He's going back next week for my brothers class, and is now going to enjoy a quail as reward.

Cheers,
Herpo

Very nice! Education is the key!

Ive brought red in on a school occasion when I was showcasing my tank (It was a project thingy where we had to exhibit something we had built) and his temperament was stunning too

Oh nice!

My mother works at a kindy and I've brought my little Apep in to teach the kids about him. A couple of the more mature ones were allowed to touch him and he was very well behaved, could not have been more relaxed. The kids were stoked!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love seeing their faces as the snake slithers over the hands of their teacher.

- - - Updated - - -

He smashed the quail by the way.

Did a similar thing for my kids at school but I have access to a wider range of critters and I'm listed on a permit that allows me to do it. It's awesome to see kids who have never been in contact with wildlife get over fears and become interested.

Be careful about taking your animals anywhere other than listed on your license. If you call your relevant authority you will probably find they will allow it but better to get their go ahead than get yourself in trouble.

I do understand the enjoyment of introducing children to reptiles but I am curious because you make no mention of public liability insurance & the appropriate paperwork to take your animal to a school?
In Victoria I'm fairly sure the only place you can take your snakes, (without requesting clearance to do so), would be to the vet with a prior appointment.
If the parents of those kids take offence to little Johnny touching a snake through their own dislike/lack of knowledge you might find yourself getting a little more attention than you want. Might be that the laws in NSW are different but I would be surprised if your actions were within the confines of your license.

I am covered under a demonstrators permit, insurance and the animals
come from my workplace they aren't my own. I also had to get clearance from the school and submit a risk assessment.
if you want to take animals to a school call the relevant people and get it sorted or there may be consequences as Paul mentioned.
I have heard of cases where departments have issued clearances for people to take animals to schools etc so it is possible.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way the school clearance and risk assessments are the requirements of the school, not the licensing authority. Some schools may not request this but they are silly if they don't.
You need the authority of the licensing department to take the animals from your residence. You need the schools permission to take them to the school and have them around students.

It sounds like a lot for simple show and tell but there are reason for it all and it is as much about protecting you and your animals as it is them.

It is good to give the little 1's the excitement of there first contact with a real live snake but you really should head the advice given by Paul and Butters it is to your benefit in the long run, they are not trying to burst your bubble...on the contrary, they are helping you to learn, and is that not what brought you here in the first place. :) ...................Ron

Thanks everyone. I wasn't aware you needed permission from the licencing bodies, but I'll call before next Monday to make sure. The class sent a message home to parents asking if they had a problem with it, and those who weren't brought in a signed note saying they couldn't touch the animal. But I'll need you advice on calling the department. It's true I wouldn't want the extra attention.

Thank you all,
Herpo

Thanks everyone. I wasn't aware you needed permission from the licencing bodies, but I'll call before next Monday to make sure. The class sent a message home to parents asking if they had a problem with it, and those who weren't brought in a signed note saying they couldn't touch the animal. But I'll need you advice on calling the department. It's true I wouldn't want the extra attention.

Thank you all,
Herpo

Bloody stupid bureacracy... they have no idea how important this kind of casual contact with fauna is for kids in educating them about critters.. Has driven me crazy for 60 years... and continues to do so. I used to take Tiger Snakes and Dugites to school and feed them in front of the class when I was kid (young and silly) - maybe there was a risk in that - but a pet python... good grief.

Jamie

Yeah it's a new world Jamie and it appears everybody is worried about litigation these days. When I was at high school a couple of mates and myself had a bit of a reptile club going where we had tanks full of vens, pythons and a few lizards. Teachers and students alike would line up and jostle for a good position on feeding days....not any more...hahaha.

Also used to swap snakes interstate with Steve Wilson and a few others. We'd bag them up and send them off by rail in cardboard boxes. I remember that it got to the stage that when they arrived at Belmore Station (where I lived) the Station Master would ring up to let me know and ask if I could get there before he left for home so he and station staff could have a gander before they left...

George.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back