what do you feed your blue tongues?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rockethead

Reaction score
Every 2-4 weeks I blend about 350 grams of kangaroo mince with boiled eggs, green salad leaf mix ,mixed berries , plus other fruits. then freeze most of the mix in large ice cube trays for later.
I seen this on you tube but the person was in the usa and used turkey loaf instead.
I tried turkey loaf but my blue tongues did not like it much.
I'm having troubles with the kangaroo mince it is very hard to clean the blender after using it and was wondering is there any harm with feeding blue tongues veggies and fruit with out meat
When they where young I gave them dog food but the smell in the reptile room was bad never going to give them that again.
the aftermath of dog food is bad.
what do you feed your blue tongues any vegan blue tongues out there?

Prepare for getting burnt if you post about trying to make an omnivorous skink a vegan on a reptile forum.

Adult blueys the general accepted formula is 50%veg 50%protein. IMO, if the skink is fed too high a proportion of veges/fruits especially when young, a floppy body condition (and often MBD) and scale deformation will be the result. The individual scales will get a domed appearance and when you run your hand along the skink it will feel rough. I have seen it and have seen some of the large yank keepers talk about it online. Some of the large bluey "farms" in the US promote a 100%protien (read dog food) from birth to 1 year old. Fed daily from 0-3 months, every 2nd day 3-6 and 2-3 times a week 6-12 months of age. It won't smell a great deal if you are changing daily the bowls and bedding anyway.

If you can't handle dog food smells, try using a lean beef mince. Also, Wombaroo is a great product for tickling up minces or dog foods with added goodies and flavours (don't forget to add calcium). Vetafarm also make a dry kibble for young skinks to eat dry , therefore no smell. Adults will eat some varieties of dry cat food also, but there is a risk in gum infections from chewing down on very hard kibbles. Blueys are built for chewing though, strong jaws with molars. How else would they be able to crush beetles and snails. Their stools are much drier on a kibble diet and they drink a heap more water along the way too. At the end of the day its up to you to find what works for both you and your bluey.

Cheers,
Dave.

I always add multical dust before I feed my blue tongues
Getting burnt or a online fight that happens on any and every post no matter what on aussie pythons
wombaroo what is it

Snails. Mushroom is good for protein, ours love it. They also get eggs and dog food aswell as whatever veges/fruit is in the house whiich is usually everything as we have a Parrot that eats a nice variety.
Wombaroo you can get from a petstore. Its usually used for feeding baby marsupials, its a milk powder full of good stuff.

Generally no, but snails are generally accepted. They mustn't have snail bait tho.

An an easy culture is an agapanthus plant next to a wall, then introduce some snails. That's about it.

I feed my BTS cat food (no fish) which contains veggies as well as snails.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back