Water Pythons!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghillies

Not so new Member
Reaction score
So after talking to a local guy who is selling some of his collection (one of which is a mature Water Python) I have gained a interest in them.

Just wanting to know how they handle, if there is a difference between NT and QLD locales and when about do Hatchies pop up for sale?

Thanks!

Thanks mate, good article to read. After a bit of research it seems like mating season in feb-March so I guess I won't see any until May...

I think you'll find that captive bred babies are available pretty much at the same time as other species - in the wild they mate during the cooler months of the dry season, but you should be able to pick cb bubs in the first few months of the year, if you can find a breeder. For some reason this beautiful species hasn't been popular in the trade, but they are worth the effort if you are prepared for probably the most explosive feeding response in the python world. I've had a few of the WA animals (from Kununurra) over the years, absolutely gorgeous vivid yellow bellies and rich rainbow olive dorsally, handled quite well UNLESS they were expecting food... Many times they would launch themselves right out of the enclosure and onto the floor if I wasn't careful at feeding time. They are fast, accurate and unforgiving constrictors, known to eat baby crocs, so they can't afford to make a mistake when hitting a food item...

Jamie

Thank you very much, yea it seems like there aren't many people breeding these guys which is sad...

the he food response sounds wilder than a Woma's! I'm really cautious on feed day!

thanks

Hi mate. I haven't had them myself but had a friend who had them. I concur with Jamie regarding them at feeding time. They can be quite "energetic when it's time to eat. A lot more aggressive than my womas.

On a slightly different note. His water python escaped one day. His wife found it two weeks later sharing her shower. Wouldn't have wanted to be him that night!.

Cheers Jordan

Sounds like they would make for a exciting species to keep, I'm posted in all the places I know of looking for Hatchies and have only been offered a 2yr old male. It's okay I'm not 100% ready yet space wise but will be soon I hope.

Had a few over the years, just stunning snakes.
The food response is insane, as for handling - as long as it's consistent they're puppies, but can often get flighty/defensive if left alone for long periods of time.
I've had qld's and the main difference is they can tend to be a bit larger(up to & over 2m), but more chilled in temperament.
Couldn't recommend them enough and wish I had the room for them again...

Ghillies have a look at fb page Australian reptile sales. Hatchlings listed on there at the moment in Brisbane. :)

That's mate, I posted on all the other one but that one and someone sent me a screen shot of that ladies post and have purchased one of the hatchlings from Her.

Ordered another heat May and thermometer to set up another large tub and just have to sell my 4ft fish tank to make room!

Is a semi aquatic enclosure a requirement for water pythons? I read during the wet season they will spend the majority of there time in the water.

Is a semi aquatic enclosure a requirement for water pythons? I read during the wet season they will spend the majority of there time in the water.

Nope, just set them up exactly as you would any other python.
They will do that if possible in nature, but in captivity they really don't care.

water python

hey man, i own two QLD water pythons, the difference in the NT and the QLD is size, QLD grow a bit larger and a bit friendlier then the NT waters, but waters have an attitude problem, which scares of most people who are wanting one. i wouldnt recommend a water for a first time snake owner, as there attitude can be fairly aggressive and get to large size aswell. i have male which is the best snake, doesnt strike, hasn't bitten me in over a year and half, and iv also got a female that is crazy, strikes when you walk past the tank, strikes when you take her out, but both have great feeding responses. water pythons you either get a puppy dog tame one or an crazy one, theres no in-between! if you want to know more about them just shoot me a message and i can give you some advice on keeping them if you like. :) but defiantly an understander estimated snake thats for sure!!!

So after talking to a local guy who is selling some of his collection (one of which is a mature Water Python) I have gained a interest in them.

Just wanting to know how they handle, if there is a difference between NT and QLD locales and when about do Hatchies pop up for sale?

Thanks!

hey man, i own two QLD water pythons, the difference in the NT and the QLD is size, QLD grow a bit larger and a bit friendlier then the NT waters, but waters have an attitude problem, which scares of most people who are wanting one. i wouldnt recommend a water for a first time snake owner, as there attitude can be fairly aggressive and get to large size aswell. i have male which is the best snake, doesnt strike, hasn't bitten me in over a year and half, and iv also got a female that is crazy, strikes when you walk past the tank, strikes when you take her out, but both have great feeding responses. water pythons you either get a puppy dog tame one or an crazy one, theres no in-between! if you want to know more about them just shoot me a message and i can give you some advice on keeping them if you like. :) but defiantly an understander estimated snake thats for sure!!!

Thanks!

thanks mate, grabbed a little hatchling not long after this thread... Was the2nd snake I've ever owned...

quickly learnt that it was polar opposite to my little Woma haha! Contemplated selling it but after frequent handling it has become better.

still very nervous and cage defensive and doesn't like faces hahaha! Almost had my nose a few times.

I guess its because you don't see them often that I have found a bit of a interest in waters and I was blow away by the bright yellow belly they have!

How big is your water? Just handling and gaining it's trust and you'll have a puppy dog tame one for sure! They are so funny, such a different personality to most snakes! They each have their strange personality and habits ????????????????????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back