Eucalyptus?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Herpo

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just put eucalyptus branches and bark in Popeye's cage. Does this pose any threat?

Cheers,
Herpo

As Mikey_Mike has so succinctly put it, there should be no problem. As long as you have brushed off any loose bark, the branch should pose no threat to Popeye.

I was gonna put bark in his cage, so good to know.

I ask because I read somewhere that eucalyptus can have dangerous fumes.

Just make sure there isn't any ants, they will infest the cage. Or spiders. But it's natural, and the smell hides the stink of poop. They love it!

It is the leaves that give off the ‘fumes’. Eucalyptus and other mrytles like as ti-trees, contain lots of small glands in their leaves that produce volatile oils. These oils have an insecticidal effect and help protect the leaves from a number of would-be pests. Crushing a leaf breaks open some of the glands, releasing the oils that you can then smell. These oils naturally evaporate from the leaves and in warm weather, the amount of evaporated oil is sufficient to produce a blue haze over eucalypt forests viewed from a distance. That’s how the Blue Mountains got their name.

Given the myriad of native animals living in eucalypt trees with these ‘fumes’ on an all-day, everyday basis, I don’t think they qualify as ‘dangerous’ when emitted from leaves. The distilled, purified oil is another ball game altogether. A number of birds use green leaves in their nests. It is thought it helps to reduce ectoparasites and may contribute to humidity. If it doesn’t harm hatchling birds surrounded by the stuff, I don’t see why it should hurt reptiles living in a similar environment.

There is also no problem with the bark per se. It is only if there are loose pieces which may cause a snake to fall if they give way - highly unlikely anyway.

Thank you for clearing that up Bluetongue. I'll put the bark in then, remove the loose pieces, and watch him enjoy it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back