Bredl's python - not feeding, getting worried.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bc42113

Reaction score
Ok, so here are the basic details:
-Male
-Approx 2 metres long
-Had for 4+ years
-Has been a fussy feeder in the past but nothing like this

Feel like I have tried everything - he hasn't eaten now for approx 8 months. Nothing has changed e.g. temps are good, tried different kinds of food, have skipped a few feeds and nothing seems to be helping. I have a coastal carpet python as well and she is a feeding machine - in the same span of time she has had no issues.
He has been in the same enclosure for about 3 years - multiple hides, a nice warm end and a cooler end. For the first 6 months or so he showed no interest in feeding at all - for the last 3 or 4 feeds he has struck and taken the rat but after about half an hour he will just leave it alone. I know it sounds strange but its like he has forgotten what to do.

Please does anybody have any ideas?
I'm getting to the point where I am considering giving him to someone else who can look after him. I'm only interested in his wellbeing.

Some snakes are just susceptible to going off feed for awhile and they can go pretty long without food, however if he is beginning to lose weight or looking bony it would be best to consult a vet or get some tests done. I've also been told that parasites in snake can deter them from feeding. But overall this is pretty unusual, mine have never gone off for this long, it could be a serious problem or something completely simple. Either way, I'd consult a vet or herpetologist.
Hope this helps, best of luck.

If your bredli is still looking fine, I wouldn't worry too much. Keep offering food periodically, and keep an eye on his setup, his movements, and his weight. If he starts to look like he's losing condition, consult a reptile vet. Has he pooped in this time? Is he still active?

[MENTION=42197]boxhead413[/MENTION], I know you have said you have tried different food items but have you tried with freshly killed Quail or week old chicks? When our big Intergrade girl went off her food for any length of time she always ended her "fast" with a nice big "Jap Quail". i tried feeding her on just Quail for a while but the mess and smell in her enclosure was diabolical so i just went back to Rats with the occasional Quail for variety. As others have pointed out unless "He" is starting to lose condition 8 months is not a big thing, it is not unusual for a good size Python in good condition to go 12 months without much harm to the Python, As [MENTION=38465]pinefamily[/MENTION] said if you are in doubt or it starts losing condition you could consult a Vet, you have nothing to lose except for maybe the consult fee. :) ....................Ron

Hey, yeah he has poo'd and shed pretty regularly. He is certainly not bony but it looks like he has lost weight

Try a day old chick or a quail as Ron Halling has suggested. If it still refuses, get a reptile vet to check over your bredli.

I sometimes thaw in hot water and then blow dry the rat when a snake gets fussy. May be worth a try. Birds are a nice change of pace, too.

My guy did the same. Went off his food for 9 months. Would not accept hot, cold, wet, dry, feather, fur or brained.

In the end I gave him a live mouse, which he ate, and is now back into eating defrosted rats.

Note: To quote the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1979 "the feeding of live prey to the predatory animal was necessary for the predatory animal’s survival because the predatory animal would not eat a dead animal or meat from a dead animal."

Last edited:
Tried chicks today, nice and hot. and........**drum roll**.........HE ATE!!!!!! Cannot thank everybody enough!!

Tried chicks today, nice and hot. and........**drum roll**.........HE ATE!!!!!! Cannot thank everybody enough!!
straight after he has eaten chicks (whilst in a feeding frenzy) it might be worth offering rats cross scented with chick by thawing them together .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back