Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Christian

Reaction score
Good day,
I found this beauty in August near Tunnel Creek, Western Australia.
Can someone help me and identify the snake ?
It was around ~80 cm long and very thin.

Thank you very much :)

Attachments

• IMG_2492.jpg
    IMG_2492.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 433
  • DSC00935.jpg
    DSC00935.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 396
It looks like its a Greater Black Whipsnake (Demansia papuensis).

Nice find.

I agree BrownHash, but curious as to whether that would be in the range of the Coastal Taipan?

It would be just on the edge of Coastal Taipan distribution. Taipans have been recorded further west than Tunnel Creek, but not as far inland. There is a vouchered specimen at the WA Museum which was recorded about 150km north west of Tunnel Creek.

I agree with BrownHash. It is definitely a Greater Black Whipsnake. It has the pale ring around the eye, the body colour and shape and lacks the coffin-shaped angular head (that stands out the neck more) of a Taipan.

Thanks for your Replies!
A few weeks ago I sent the pictures to http://www.whatsnakeisthat.com.au
and they identifyed the snake as a common tree snake.
But it doesn't look like a common tree snake at all :)

Sorry when I'm did some grammar mistakes, I'm still trying to improve my English :)

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't see a loreal scale, and there isn't a green-ish white tinge that most black-phase tree snakes have. I would say Greater Black whip, but they still give a nasty bite. Great find!

Its a Black whip, it looks nothing like a taipan.

You saw your opportunity and threw out the right bait cement... got a few bites.

You saw your opportunity and threw out the right bait cement... got a few bites.

Wot 0_0

Am I missing a beef here, I feel like I'm missing out on something???

I reckon cement had a fair guess, I mean I have seen pictures of similar looking individuals.

No beef, just figured cement was having a bit of fun and congratulating him on a 'job well done'. Sorry if it came across the wrong way.

Guys please remember we take the ID forum seriously. Please provide reasons for your ID's and keep posts on topic with no unnecessary chit chat. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back