Heating Barking Geckos

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackrabbit

Reaction score
I was wondering what the best way to heat some U. Miliis is?

We will be housing them in a partitioned URS 45 x 45 enclosure with a mesh top.

I am not keen on a heat mat since there seems to be so many issues with them burning up. So I was thinking about using a heat rock partially or fully submerged but wasn't sure if they had the same issues as the heat mats.

Any other ideas recommendations? We live in Sydney so need something during winter.

Thanks
Rick

Milii occur in your area, no worries there. Heat rocks are spawn of Satan and shouldn't be used at all costs from what I've heard. If you're worried, go with a heat mat or ceramic globe

Last edited:
Defiantly don't go with a heat rock, there are many horror stories of them overheating and injuring animals, especially snakes and geckos. The heat wire inside the rocks is also often placed unevenly causing some areas to be hotter than others, very unreliable and prone to burning out or flat out not working right. My local reptile store won't stock them for these reasons.
I'd defiantly go with a heat mat, I use one for my young Jungle and i've never had any issues. The stories of them burning up are most likely because it didn't have a thermostat/controller attached, something that every heat source should have.
I use the ReptaPets heatmat (12watts), under the bottom of the terrarium on top of a thin piece of foam (protects the table surface), and it works perfectly. A little bit more pricey than a normal heat mat, mine was around $70, but it's well worth it.
Look around and read some reviews on the different types, but I highly recommend the one above,
good luck hope this helped.

Thanks I'll check them out. We have a $10 table so damage isn't an issue unless it causes a major fire.

attachment.php

Hahahah [MENTION=41799]BredliFreak[/MENTION]

Attachments

• fc,550x550,asphalt.jpg
    fc,550x550,asphalt.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 136
We live in Adelaide, and only use a heat mat under the bottom of a glass tank in winter.

The glass tank is sitting on a stand with a piece of polstyrene to protect the stand and the mat is between the glass and the polystyrene.

Put a heat may on a thermostat if your worried but they only require very little heating if even any.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back