Bredli hatchling enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bipolar_bear

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am new to this forum but am excited to become apart of it! I have a passion for reptiles and hope to focus my career around them within the future.
I'm posting as I would like advice on enclosures for a bredli hatchling, as I am soon to invest in my first python. I have seen a lot of information on the net for enclosures "that can be as small as..." but I am wondering what is the ideal - maximum size enclosure I am able to have for a bredli hatchling? Also, should I wait until my hatchling has settled in before I add climbing materials?

All feedback and any other tips are greatly appreciated! Will post a photo when I bring my baby home and its settled in. Thanks in advance,

Bipolar Bear :)

I would make a click clack enclosure for your snake.
5-10l should be fine for him

Welcome to the forums!
Any pet store will usually have a 'click-clack' style enclosure, something like https://www.amazingamazon.com.au/hatchling-snake-container.html is ideal as it's got enough height to add branches or any other climbing materials in later (I consider this to be the perfect size for hatchlings, but you can go a little bit smaller depending on how young the snake is). You could also use a Tupperware or something of the sort as well, just make sure to drill in plenty of holes. Don't worry too much about getting something a little big larger, if you fill it with plenty of hides/plants/ect your snake will feel secure enough regardless.
As for adding climbing materials, you can pretty much do that at any point, with my jungle I added them straight away and he took to them pretty well. Bredli's will definitely appreciate being able to climb and have full use of the enclosure.
Hope this helps you, good luck!

container something like 30Lx30WxH15 you need a hide like a toilet roll or egg carton lid cut in half.. a small water dish.. and get a small heat mat or a bit of heat cord... cover roughly 1/3 of the bottom of the enclosure.. then all you need is a thermostat.. for my bredli i set the temps 28-35 they seem to like it hot.. Have you ever been bitten by a snake?

Very helpful, thank you Iguana!

What's your jungle like to handle? I'd love one later on when I'm more experienced, they are stunning creatures!

- - - Updated - - -

Awesome, thanks alexbee. I'm aware of the rest, was just a little confused about an ideal enclosure size.

Can't say I've been bitten by a snake yet, been bitten by a few other things though ahah, I'm sure a snake will end up on that list one day too.

Very helpful, thank you Iguana!

What's your jungle like to handle? I'd love one later on when I'm more experienced, they are stunning creatures!

- - - Updated - - -

Awesome, thanks alexbee. I'm aware of the rest, was just a little confused about an ideal enclosure size.

Can't say I've been bitten by a snake yet, been bitten by a few other things though ahah, I'm sure a snake will end up on that list one day too.

Jungles have a reputation for being nippy, but my jungle cross coastal is so calm you couldn't tell he was jungle other than colour.

And like everything, there are exceptions, and most can be calmed down. Bredli and Jungles are both great snakes.

@bipolar_bear
You're welcome, glad I could help!
And he is perfect, one of the best behaved snakes i've ever handled, beautiful bold colors too, I honestly couldn't get him to bite me if I wanted to haha. But as Herpo mentioned they do have a reputation for being pretty nippy, in my experience it depends on the individual snake. My advice would be, get one as young as possible, and handle as often as possible, or as much as the snake permits without being stressed too much.
But, overall beautiful snakes and defiantly worth getting if you've got the passion.

Wow that's incredible! I'm well aware of their reputation for being nippy as it's what has steered me away from getting one for my first snake. I've always heard that bredli's are great for a first timer so I'm sticking with that, and will more than likely get a jungle for my next snake!

Thanks for the feedback anyhow, viv and all the necessities are purchased, looking to set up the temperatures and monitor them over the next few days and will be getting my baby bredli early next week! It's impossible to contain the excitement :D

I understand! Be sure to share pics if your new addition!

Welcome to the forums!
Any pet store will usually have a 'click-clack' style enclosure, something like https://www.amazingamazon.com.au/hatchling-snake-container.html is ideal
Thanks for this. Just wondering is something like this secure enough that a hatching couldn't escape? What should you look for to make sure? I don't have a snake but am researching, and I hear they can be little escape artists!

Also does the "click" sound of opening or closing the enclosure annoy or frighten them at all?

[MENTION=42155]alichamp[/MENTION],
They will definitely escape given the chance, so a secure enclosure is a must. I test them by how hard you can pull the lid off, if it simply snaps off it's no good, you'll want it to be pretty secure and relatively hard to remove. That being said, baby snakes are very weak, you'd find that they would have a lot of trouble trying to remove a lid.
To be honest, baby snakes are spooked by almost anything, but eventually they will adjust to it, it's more the movement of the enclosure shaking as the lid is pulled off that startles them, since they are deaf the noise should be no trouble.
hope this helps you out, good luck with the research :)

Thanks for this. Just wondering is something like this secure enough that a hatching couldn't escape? What should you look for to make sure? I don't have a snake but am researching, and I hear they can be little escape artists!

Also does the "click" sound of opening or closing the enclosure annoy or frighten them at all?
Better than looking for a missing snake, Alichamp.
A click clack is the best option for a hatchling snake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back