Diamond Python Medical Assistance

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ah thanks for that, so it's marketed as an odor eliminator, has the F10sc with a strong pine scent. I wonder if that would be safe in an enclosure....can't seem to find any safety sheets on that one.

- - - Updated - - -

No I don't but if you really want to speak to the vet who told me send me a pm and i'll give you his number, that way you can hear it directly from him. He doesn't use F10, he uses something else which is more forgiving to humans and animals but just as potent. I use F10, I think its a great product, all I am saying is use it as directed...

No need to speak to the vet, I just thought there might be a link to an article or something on the internet about it. :)
I'm not sure how many complaints a product has to get for it to be added on as a warning, but seeing as I have cats too, I'll make sure I use it with plenty of ventilation and keep the cats out of the room while I'm cleaning.

It's always a case of weighing up the pro's and con's with any product, you want to kill off germs and stuff, but don't want to harm your reptile/animals/yourself in the process.

Does anyone steam clean their enclosures? But that would take forever with one of those little hand held steamers.

I've used the pre mixed F10 in the past in enclosures with no noticeable problems. As with anything I use in an enclosure that has a chemical content it gets several wipes after with a hot clean wet cloth and aired for a short time.

Hold onto that humble pie a while yet Jamie.
After getting this from Shane I did some more research. Back in 2013 Shane had not seen a single case but it has since been on the increase. While it's not common it is certainly being associated to malnutrition.

Thanks Shane. From reading the article from Dr Robert Johnson & looking at the image on APS my understanding from the 2 is that this is more of a symptom born from malnutrition, but that might be my own misinterpretation. Just surprised that Diamonds are more prone to this.

Shane Correct Paul. There are several theories on its cause e.g. collagen issue from birth, malnutrition protein loss, sepsis, vitamin C deficiency has also been proposed. The reality is that all these snakes are underweight and look terrible

I think there's enough information in this thread to confidently state that the disease that this snake died from is commonly known as starvation. Whether it finally succumbed to sepsis, multi-organ failure or something else doesn't alter the cause of death.

Starlord it doesn't matter a great deal if you use bleach or F10 or any other agent. Follow the directions. If worried about bleach leave the enclosure in the sunshine for a whilst & any residual bleach will break down rapidly. If you're worried about mites use an insecticide (eg pyrethrin) or else just leave it long enough for any mites to die.

Whilst we're discussing husbandry the elephant in the room is SNAKES NEED TO EAT.

Last edited:
Mmmmmmm,
A little blunt......or should I say to the point mikey but that just about sums it up.
There are other potential causes but learn the basic needs of the animal before you run to the nearest shop to buy the latest ego trip.

Actually i do have a permit, and everything else you said is incorrect. OMG the ISS is passing over, time to bring out the telescope!

Yeah I might lose a bet over your licence... but there is nothing incorrect about what i said.

Shame your poor neglected animal didn't warrant the same attention you pay the international space station.

Don't get another dear "friend". Stick to staring at piles of metal floating through space.

[MENTION=42191]Starlord[/MENTION], Could you please include a few pics of the enclosure from a few different angles, as [MENTION=40472]Burgo89[/MENTION] suggested could it have possibly been a burn, the skin does not really look like it has torn, the area's where the skin is missing seem to have circular borders like you would get with full thickness burns, as far as treatment is concerned i would head Veterinary advice as the more you muck around with it using all different forms of advice from a forum the more likely a very bad infection could occur. :) ....................Ron
Hi Ron I totally agree with you ! when treating humans you dont mix treatments and medications etc so the same would apply to animals,reptiles etc I would think and would make it worse. I think it looks like a burn too -the lights maybe??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back