Thermostat + Globe ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Variety

Reaction score
My cousin picked up a combo setup today which included a "Repti-Zoo" thermostat aswell as a heat globe and fitting. The globe is turning on/off every 5 minutes(as it should) and i was wondering if it would be better to run a mat through a thermostat ?

I was told years ago to avoid using globes through standard thermostats as it can stress the python aswell as wear a globe out fairly quick due to the constant on/off.

Cheers in advance

The life of the globe is shortened significantly with a thermostat, depending on the temp it is set at, and the wattage of the globe.
A better option is a CHE.

The life of the globe is shortened significantly with a thermostat, depending on the temp it is set at, and the wattage of the globe.
A better option is a CHE.

went and bought her a 150w ceramic heat emitter today thanks for the help

150 watt has the potential to create a lot of heat if the thermostat stays on. I don't know what or where you are keeping but as a general rule only use the minimum wattage required to achieve the required heat.

150 watt has the potential to create a lot of heat if the thermostat stays on. I don't know what or where you are keeping but as a general rule only use the minimum wattage required to achieve the required heat.

Agreed. I think this might be why the light was on/off all the time. Not saying there is anything wrong with CHE but they don't give you any idea if they are working or not. With a globe at least it is easy to know if they are working.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

l myself have been using these clear reflector ligh bulbs and red party light bulbs to provide warmth to all my captive reptiles since 1989, has you can see they a available in different wattages & and the reflector light bulbs a available 2 different sizes, R64 & R80, the R80 a available in 60-75-100watt and the R64 a available in 40-60watt, and you can get them in Edison Screw & Bayonet.

They are far more cheaper to buy than the ones you get with Reptiles printed on the packaging, the best brand to get a Crompton and GE, and they can last for months but l have notice the 60watt red light bulbs tend to only last for 1 to 4 weeks, where the 25 & 40watt red light bulbs can last for months, these red party light bulbs a only available in Bayonet.

You can buy these from Middendorp electrical supplie outlet or Bunnings.

- - - Updated - - -

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Has you can see here in my Olive Python enclosures l use 1 x 75watt clear reflector light bulb during the day, and at night time l use 2 x 40watt red party light bulbs.

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 449
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 439
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 450
  • IMG_0008_1.JPG
    IMG_0008_1.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 476
  • IMG_0004_4.JPG
    IMG_0004_4.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 479
  • IMG_0006.JPG
    IMG_0006.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 481
Last edited:
You can perfectly use infrared and basking globes with a dimming thermostat as the dimming thermostat is not as harsh on the globes as an On/Off Thermostat. On/Off thermostats are great for heat mats and cords - I have been able to get 6 months out of my globes consistanly with the Microclimate Evo Thermostat set on dimming

Yeah, the problem here is you have an on/off thermostat not a dimming thermostat.
I get a good 8-10 months with globes on my microclimate dimmers.

I have on/off thermostats on 100w infra red globes and get a good 12 months out of them. (Probably jinxed it now) :?

In the cage setup shown earlier I am surprised there are no light cages to prevent the snake contacting the globe. Animals can wrap around the bulb when it is off and cool, and then when the globe turns on, it can fry the animal. I accept that Dragon appears to have plenty of experience and not all snake s will burn themselves, but as a general rule some sort of barrier should be provided to prevent direct contact with the heat source.

Last edited:
Hi Wokka, Yes l agree 100% with you that all Reptile enclosure with heat lamps built inside them just like mine are, should have light cages to help prevent the Snakes, from wrapping themselfs around the light bulbs.

The reason why mine don't have any light cages installed is because none of my enclosures have Thermostat connected to them, this stops the lights from turning on & off. so there is no chance of my Olive Python's from wrapping themselfs around the light bulbs.

The way l control the temperature inside my enclosures is by using a lower wattage light bulb, during the day l use a 60watt clear reflector light bulb, and at night time l use 2 x 40watt red party light bulbs during the summer months, but in winter time l use 1 x 60watt and 1 x 40watt red light bulbs.

The 60watt clear reflector light bulb is connected to a dimmer so l can turn it down without turning it of or changing the reflector light bulb.

Not once have any of my Olive Python's tried to wrap themself around any of the light bulbs day or night, like you said in your post l Dragon_77 ( Les ), have plenty of experience in reptile keeping which l do but l still am learning just like you and any other Reptile keeper is.

l got my first pet lizard which was a Eastern Blue-Tongue in 1975, and got my first snake which was a Children's Python in 1989, so that is to let you and others out there know how long l have been keeping Reptiles for.

Last edited:
The reason why mine don't have any light cages installed is because none of my enclosures have Thermostat connected to them, this stops the lights from turning on & off. so there is no chance of my Olive Python's from wrapping themselfs around the light bulbs.

Forgive me, this may be my lack of experience showing through, but why would not having a thermostat prevent the snake from coming into contact with the hot globe?

I have used all sorts of methods for heating over the last 20 years keeping turtles, lizards and snakes. Never had a lizard or turtle wrap itself around a light bulb but definitely have had snakes wrap themselves around them with or without bulb cages. I have always been cautious especially knowing that snakes can have a habit of wrapping around a bulb or sitting too long on a heat mat slowly cooking themselves (even though they may not realise it until burns happen). So for that reason I use a combination of ceramic bulbs and incandesent globes (no more that 40 or 50watts, enclosed in cages, some with dimming thermostats and some without depending on the vivarium size. And always using an infrared thermometer to check on temps (Jaycar quite often have these on special). They are an awesome investment to have (and can be used for many other things too!)

l have only ever had 2 python's that got some burn marking on their body from the heat lamps that l use in my enclosures, and that was a Centralian Carpet & Olive Python.

And l never ever have used heating devices such has heat ( tape - mat - cord ), inside any of my indoor Reptile enclosure, underneath my enclosure at floor level that l keep one of my adult Olive Python's in, there is a 50watt radiant heat panel, that provides a hot spot on the floor of that enclosure at the same end has the light bulbs, cause Olive Python's being a ground dweller do rely on some warmth from the ground.

If you look closely at the bottom enclosure and look at the wheel on the left, just to the right of the wheel underneath you can see the radiant heat panel it has blue tape on it, and on top of the enclosure is my adult male Olive Python, who often spends hours on top of that plastic container to keep warm from the red light bulbs inside the enclosure that create a warm spot on top, You can also see my adult female Olive Python in the draw and resting her head on top of the chair.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 396
Last edited:

There is every chance of your Olive wrapping itself around an unprotected bulb regardless of what you think.

Help i am having issues with my heat lamp (globes) i bought a 100watt the other day and installed it only to have it blow.. i asked the pet store and they said if i used my bare hand, the oils could cause it to crack.. oh... okay i thought so i bought a more expensive different brand 150watt and its lasted a day. Same results. I didn't come into contact with the globe at all.. a cheap bigW globe lasted for ages in it so its not the ceramic socket... should i take it back and complain? Or am i doing something wrong :(

If you're talking about edison type screw in globes do yourself a favour and go to bunnings and buy the Phillips brand bulb. Lasts significantly longer for a fraction of the price.

If you're talking about edison type screw in globes do yourself a favour and go to bunnings and buy the Phillips brand bulb. Lasts significantly longer for a fraction of the price.
Friggin champ mate!! I have a 75watt in for now.. be off to the hardware store 2moro and will grab some.

Friggin champ mate!! I have a 75watt in for now.. be off to the hardware store 2moro and will grab some.

Pet/Reptile shops generally try and make their cash on bulbs, most of which are cheap imported rubbish. Much better value if you look elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back