Hatches not eating.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackrabbit

Reaction score
Hi,

My Diamonds hatched on Jan 31 and most haven't eaten yet. The ones that started are feeding nicely when the others refuse. Some strike but don't hold on and others just don't seem interested.

When should I start to worry and consider force feeding? My only worry there is the size of them and being able to hold them without hurting them whilst trying to put a mouse in their gob.

Thanks in advance for your help
Rick

At only about 5 weeks since hatch, you have nothing to worry about at this time. Baby pythons usually hatch with a gut full of yolk which sustains them for a couple of months at least. Dave & Tracy Barker, one time big breeders in the US, didn't even bother to offer food for 10-12 weeks after hatch, by which time they got an almost 100% hit rate with feeding. Saves big breeders a lot of time mucking around with babies that are not interested in feeding. Remember also that the best food for hatchy Carpets is fuzzy or small weaner mice - you'll get far more interest from your babies in the larger, furry food items than you will from pinkies, and they can easily eat them. It's unusual for any Carpet, Diamonds included, to need force feeding, and it's generally not something recommended for novice keepers to try. Difficult or nervous feeders will require you to freeze and move VERY slowly out of their sight after they strike & wrap - any movement from you, which they can see, will cause them to let go of the food item and watch you. Make sure you offer food on long forceps - at least 30cm, so they are not intimidated by the machinery of feeding.

Jamie

The ones that strike without intent to eat often take food when it is left in with them for a few hours.
I had 1 real stubborn hatchy last year too 6 months to take his first feed so be patient.

Also try to feed them late at night when everything is dark and quiet. No lights on etc. Found that works well when you get stubborn babies.

The longest 'ive had one go is 4mths.
Bred a lot of diamonds now and I advocate never to force feed. Sooner or later they will eat.

I had a hatchy SWCP the other year that would not eat, after about 3 months I placed some soiled bedding from a rat enclosure into the hatchys click clack and left it for a week. When I attempted to feed the next time it was an immediate strike and wrap. As already said I would not worry just yet 6 weeks is still early.

The longest I've had was 9 mths...
Force feeding is sooo stressful on hatchies and isn't always effective
As said above offer late and night in a quiet room.
Try switching between mouse fuzzie/hoppers and rat pinks.
Don't offer more than every 4 days (to often will stress them out as well)
Also try day old quails :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back