Keep your cats indoors!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The government should say right now that owning a nondesexed cat will carry a nice fat fine, and in 2036 all cats will be shot on sight.

How does a cat escape? Im sure i could keep one inside a house, id just check before opening a door. If i saw a cat attacking a native animal i honestly don't think the cat would have long left. I don't hate cats, i'm an animal lover but i wouldnt tolerate seeing that. Where would you stand in the eyes of the law if you say killed a cat that you found attacking say a snake? always wondered that

Alexbee good point, but I wouldn't be surprised that they get out they are sneaky *******s. At 4:30 in the morning when it's meowing there wouldn't be much choice but to let it out which is a downside of cats (why can't they learn to use their litter box?).

As as for the law, I guess you would be seen as a psychopath, but I'm not sure whether they would charge you.

So many people already think of reptile lovers as psychopaths lol.. funny that the public would see you as a psychopath and yet someone who hacks a 20 year old snake to death with a shovel is normal..

Alexbee good point, but I wouldn't be surprised that they get out they are sneaky *******s. At 4:30 in the morning when it's meowing there wouldn't be much choice but to let it out which is a downside of cats (why can't they learn to use their litter box?).

As as for the law, I guess you would be seen as a psychopath, but I'm not sure whether they would charge you.

Lol I'm already a psychopath so I don't need to worry ;)

I wouldn't say hacking a snake to death is normal in our society but it isn't shamed upon like killing a cat would be. Most people (IMO) would be somewhat sympathetic/grossed out (maybe the way they kill it is a factor?) but not to the extent of fuzzy animals (like comparing feral rabbits and cane toads, which do people have more sympathy more :rolleyes:)

How does a cat escape? Im sure i could keep one inside a house, id just check before opening a door. If i saw a cat attacking a native animal i honestly don't think the cat would have long left. I don't hate cats, i'm an animal lover but i wouldnt tolerate seeing that. Where would you stand in the eyes of the law if you say killed a cat that you found attacking say a snake? always wondered that

I have two cats who are both indoor only and they are sneaky little so and so's. One I can safely say would rather be inside because he's a sooky la la, but the other sneaks out whenever she gets a chance! Luckily she never goes far because of all the lovely smells!!

Kids and old people do make it difficult to keep cats locked up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I usually stay out of these "Cat People vs. Non-Cat People" threads, as they never really get anywhere, but I will say that, generally, if you're cat is trying desperately to escape from your house every time you open the door, its requirements are not being properly met. This could include a lack of mental and/or physical stimulation (very important), stressful indoor environment (possibly caused by other animals/pets/people), lack of suitable litter tray/s (they can be fairly picky with placement, type of litter used, etc.), dietary requirements not being sufficiently met, etc. As a lifelong cat lover, and owner of two 100% indoor cats, I can assure you that if all of their needs are being met indoors, most (obviously there will always be the rare individual that differs, as with all animals) will not make any attempts to leave the comfort of their home. Why would they need to? I can literally open the front door with one or both of them sitting/laying on the door mat and they will not move a muscle. This is in contrast to when my older of the two was younger and had to be confined to a master bedroom and ensuite (due to living arrangements). He would wait at the bedroom door and leap out with impressive speed as soon as the door was even slightly opened. Once we moved and he was allowed full use of the house, this changed completely.

Sorry for the length of such a simple post, but long story short; provide the right environment for them and there is no need for a cat to ever be outside.

Adam

I usually stay out of these "Cat People vs. Non-Cat People" threads, as they never really get anywhere, but I will say that, generally, if you're cat is trying desperately to escape from your house every time you open the door, its requirements are not being properly met. This could include a lack of mental and/or physical stimulation (very important), stressful indoor environment (possibly caused by other animals/pets/people), lack of suitable litter tray/s (they can be fairly picky with placement, type of litter used, etc.), dietary requirements not being sufficiently met, etc. As a lifelong cat lover, and owner of two 100% indoor cats, I can assure you that if all of their needs are being met indoors, most (obviously there will always be the rare individual that differs, as with all animals) will not make any attempts to leave the comfort of their home. Why would they need to? I can literally open the front door with one or both of them sitting/laying on the door mat and they will not move a muscle. This is in contrast to when my older of the two was younger and had to be confined to a master bedroom and ensuite (due to living arrangements). He would wait at the bedroom door and leap out with impressive speed as soon as the door was even slightly opened. Once we moved and he was allowed full use of the house, this changed completely.

Sorry for the length of such a simple post, but long story short; provide the right environment for them and there is no need for a cat to ever be outside.

Adam

While I completely understand what you are saying, I have to disagree.

My cats have been indoors from day dot, have everything they could need and want, have moved three times and yet the little girl just wants out to explore. And it's not like she bolts for the door every time she hears it open, but if there's an opportunity to walk out, she will. She's a sticky nose! I also used to take them walking around the garden on a leash (not so much anymore) and this made her want out a lot more.

[MENTION=17341]akarsha[/MENTION] Yep, I understand that there is certainly exceptions, which is why included the "obviously there will always be the rare individual that differs" remark. I was also referring primarily to people that say that they are "unable" to keep their cats inside, as they run out every chance they get. What I was covering is a general concept that applies in most cases with enough thought and effort. Individual experiences may vary. And I'm not questioning your methods or having a dig, but in your case it sounds simple enough to keep her indoors if she will "walk out" if given the opportunity; remove the opportunity by not leaving doors open for long enough for her to walk out. :D I mean, I'm sure that even my cats would go outside eventually if the door was left open, but our house has a strict no open door policy. :)
As far as the outside leash making her want out more: this is always going to be the case; if they are allowed outside with any regularity, they will obviously feel that it is their right.

Adam

Last edited:
[MENTION=17341]akarsha[/MENTION] Yep, I understand that there is certainly exceptions, which is why included the "obviously there will always be the rare individual that differs" remark. I was also referring primarily to people that say that they are "unable" to keep their cats inside, as they run out every chance they get. What I was covering is a general concept that applies in most cases with enough thought and effort. Individual experiences may vary. And I'm not questioning your methods or having a dig, but in your case it sounds simple enough to keep her indoors if she will "walk out" if given the opportunity; remove the opportunity by not leaving doors open for long enough for her to walk out. :D I mean, I'm sure that even my cats would go outside eventually if the door was left open, but our house has a strict no open door policy. :)
As far as the outside leash making her want out more: this is always going to be the case; if they are allowed outside with any regularity, they will obviously feel that it is their right.

Adam

Living with kids and a 96 year old, very slow nana, doesn't help with the 'no door open' policy. [emoji13]

Living with kids and a 96 year old, very slow nana, doesn't help with the 'no door open' policy. [emoji13]

That's a cough out and very lame excuse for not managing / controlling your cat/s IMO.

If YOU REALLY WANT to keep your cat/s inside, you'll find a way , no IFs , no BUTs.

If you can't / wont manage / control it/them then you shouldn't be allowed to keep a cat.

That's a cough out and very lame excuse for not managing / controlling your cat/s IMO.

If YOU REALLY WANT to keep your cat/s inside, you'll find a way , no IFs , no BUTs.

If you can't / wont manage / control it/them then you shouldn't be allowed to keep a cat.

As previously stated, my cats are indoor only. I even go to the extreme's of locking them in my room when I'm not home to make sure they don't get out.

They are controlled.

They have been indoor only since I got them.

Read my post and maybe not jump to conclusions or down my throat before posting.

Also, the last time I checked, it is not actually illegal for cats to be outside. I'm a responsible cat owner.

And your post will be reported.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back