Thermostat + Globe ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pet/Reptile shops generally try and make their cash on bulbs, most of which are cheap imported rubbish. Much better value if you look elsewhere.
And shipped in from overseas possibly getting damaged in transit.

If anyone's interested I recently got into using the "antique " globes they great and put out a fair amount of heat sorry I can't post pictures as my iPhone doesn't let me access this site anymore for some reason

Help i am having issues with my heat lamp (globes) i bought a 100watt the other day and installed it only to have it blow.. i asked the pet store and they said if i used my bare hand, the oils could cause it to crack.. oh... okay i thought so i bought a more expensive different brand 150watt and its lasted a day. Same results. I didn't come into contact with the globe at all.. a cheap bigW globe lasted for ages in it so its not the ceramic socket... should i take it back and complain? Or am i doing something wrong :(
Last year I was having the same issue. The shop I purchased from actually swapped the bulb over for a new one, and mentioned that I should try using a surge protector. I probably had 2-3 bulbs die on me in a few months. Since getting the surge protector I haven't had one go.

Another question for the informative people on here. Thermostats and 4' flouro tubes (for a day and night cycle) anyone recommend brands/types and or where to shop, my local pet store (whom i try and support) is fisting me big time on reptile gear and my patients is worn thin :( so i am looking else where. I live in Caloundra QLD and am willing to travel 2hrs to get to a store/place that can help me.. peace

And shipped in from overseas possibly getting damaged in transit.

Likely there's some truth to that. Also likely that most globes in oz are imports apart from a few. I suspect the Phillips ones are just made to a higher standard.

Likely there's some truth to that. Also likely that most globes in oz are imports apart from a few. I suspect the Phillips ones are just made to a higher standard.
And shipped better too.

- - - Updated - - -

UV mate. (Sorry i should have specified)
You need to shop around for the best price. Check out some of the online places that sell them; often their prices are better than your local pet/reptile shops. Also check out aquarium shops, they sometimes are cheaper than the reptile ones.

Another question for the informative people on here. Thermostats and 4' flouro tubes (for a day and night cycle) anyone recommend brands/types and or where to shop, my local pet store (whom i try and support) is fisting me big time on reptile gear and my patients is worn thin :( so i am looking else where. I live in Caloundra QLD and am willing to travel 2hrs to get to a store/place that can help me.. peace

Have you tried the pet shop in Nambour next to Supercheap - awesome for reptile and very knowledgable
Also The New Microclimate Evo Thermostat is sensational for setting fluro on Timer cycle

- - - Updated - - -

Have you tried the pet shop in Nambour next to Super Cheap Auto - awesome and well stocked with reptile products
Also the new Microclimate Evo is sensational for UV timer - cant go wrong

Have you tried the pet shop in Nambour next to Supercheap - awesome for reptile and very knowledgable
Also The New Microclimate Evo Thermostat is sensational for setting fluro on Timer cycle

- - - Updated - - -

Have you tried the pet shop in Nambour next to Super Cheap Auto - awesome and well stocked with reptile products
Also the new Microclimate Evo is sensational for UV timer - cant go wrong
Nah mate i haven't and to be honest i have never heard of them. The costs of getting a tetanus shot after visiting nambour might out weight the savings . Nah i shall check them out next time i am home. Cheers for the info

Nah mate i haven't and to be honest i have never heard of them. The costs of getting a tetanus shot after visiting nambour might out weight the savings ������. Nah i shall check them out next time i am home. Cheers for the info

Thats Gold

City Farmers used to be ideal for globes and reptile products before they got bought out by Pet Barn as their prices were the cheapest I've seen (at least 30% cheaper than Pet Barn).

Perhaps next time you are down Brisbane way you could check out Pet Superstore at Stafford. Im sure they'll look after you especially if you stock up.

Awesome! I have found a relevant, active globe forum!

I am in need of advice fellow reptile enthusiasts as I'm unsure of what globes to use in my tank. I've found the internet to be full of quite varied opinions and would feel much more comfortable receiving advice from experienced, reliable keepers.

Okay, so I currently have my tank set up to get my first python, a bredli. It's a URS sliding door tower terrarium and currently is being heated by a URS Oz purple globe and has an ordinary white globe for day lighting. The white globe is set to turn on at 7am and off again at 9pm. I also have a thermostat which is set at 32 degrees. There's a heat mat underneath the tank for belly heat, and covers just short of half of the tank. The water bowel and a cool hide is on the other side of the tank which is about 27 degrees.
I'm aware that the purple globe is a nocturnal heat lamp but I'm wondering if I can leave this globe running 24/7 essentially or would I be better off running a different globe, such as an infrared spot globe? I need a heat globe that I can run for 24 hours as there is generally a couple of nights a week where I'm not home, as one night I stay at a friends near uni, which is a 1.5 hour drive from where I'm living and I occasionally have 12 hour uni days, making it easier to crash at a friends than to venture home late.
So ultimately, I'd like to know what globes would be best in my situation for heating?? I can attach pics if anyone wants to suss the enclosure. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

A heat globe is a heat globe is a heat globe. They all put out heat so whether its purple or red or blue doesn't change the heat too much. Those OZ Purple ones dont like to be switched on and off all the time so just leave it on. The day time globe (presuming its just a normal house hold globe emitting white or warm light) to assist with daytime temps can be switched on and off. However, coming into winter and depending on hold warm your house or room stays during winter, you may not need it, as it we never have Summer all year round (if you know what I mean). Pics of your enclosure may assist too in giving wisest advice. Im sure others will have their own ways of how they do things, but thats what your post is itended for. Getting different opinions. Now you have mine. :)

As SKYWLKR has said, it is hard to give correct advice without knowing more about your tank. From your description, you might have too much heat, with the purple one on all the time, the white globe, and a heat mat. Depending on how bg your tank is, the daytime globe and the heat mat at night might be enough.
As for globes, don't buy from reptile or pet shops if you can; obviously the purple ones are only available from them. The daytime, or white, globes are best sourced from Bunnings with the Philips spot globes. You can get a range of wattages, to suit your setup. Five dollars odd for a box of two is pretty good value.

The dimensions of the tank are 45 x 45 x 60.

The thermostat is an off/on one, as opposed to a dimming one and turns the globe on and off quite regularly which I assume will shorten the overall life of the globe. My other problem is that my heat mat is at an awfully high temperature, about 50 degrees, does anyone know of anything I can put between the mat and the tank that will reduce the temperature? I don't want to risk belly burns.

Thanks [MENTION=38465]pinefamily[/MENTION], it came with the tank along with the thermostat and the daytime globe, otherwise when it runs out I'll definitely source the globes from elsewhere, prices at pet shops are a rip off.

Hope these pictures are suitable, thanks for all the advice folks, just want to do it all right and provide the most suitable environment for my little bredli.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 12595964_960888954001786_1805135777_n.jpg
    12595964_960888954001786_1805135777_n.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 131
  • 12721641_960888917335123_1934215909_n.jpg
    12721641_960888917335123_1934215909_n.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 135
  • 12016454_960888997335115_1222192782_n.jpg
    12016454_960888997335115_1222192782_n.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 134
You didn't buy that tank in the northern suburbs of Adelaide did you?
That size is only good for a small python, and only for a very short time. Those tanks are better suited to frogs or geckos, IMO. 1 globe during the day will be plenty for that size tank. It sounds like the heat mat is too high a wattage. I wouldn't bother with it in this weather.
When do you get your snake, and how old/big will it be?

Yep haha, as a fellow Adelaidean yourself, I believe you will be familiar with the Gully Reptile Centa? That is where the whole package is originally from, however I did buy it second hand from someone else who bought it from there. They never used it, but all the same it has been completely and thoroughly cleaned and disinfected with reptile safe products.
Yeah, I'm aware. I have another tank I can use when this one gets too small (will eventually use this tank for geckos) and another which is in its early stages of being built.
Okay awesome, thanks! I was planning to get the pyth from the Gully Reptile Centa, I have been sussing their hatchlings quite regularly and they are definitely itty bitty sized. I was planning to get it hopefully this week, depending on advice given about the heating options

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back