"Flash" the resident monitor...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smittiferous

Reaction score
Mate of mine who still works in the Pilbara has been telling me about a resident critter who hangs around the loco shed at the FMG Thomas Yard rail facility. Apparently he likes to frequent the bbq area.
843ecd7afe13ffd112401175e79f088e.jpg

Wonder what's up with his tail?

He could have got it caught somewhere, or mangled in a fight. Looks well fed, lol.

It might be possible that if he hangs around the BBQs he is eating an inadequate monitor diet (human food) resulting in MBD.

"Flash" the resident monitor...

Apparently their bbq area is quite infrequently used, I did ask that question, they also have fairly strict policies regarding leaving scraps and the like due to vermin.

While I was up there building that facility there were no shortage of mice, rats, locusts, beetles, spiders and of course all the herps we had to relocate out of the trenches and pits every time we went to work in those areas. Certainly no shortage of natural food there, and it's surrounded by scrub, so I really doubt he's being sustained by human scraps.

Doubt he was born with it. It certainly looks like a viatmin D deficiency related problem such as metabolic bone disease (MBD) but it could be a number of things and not all to do with poor diet/viatmin deficiency. I'm no vet so I can't say with any real confidence as to what it is haha. Other then the tail, damn nice looking monitor!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back