Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kev_1967

Reaction score
Hi
I am just starting out in Pythons and my question is what type of Python would you say is good for a Newbie to start off with.
Cheers
Kevin

Hey Kevin, welcome!

You're bound to get a lot of varying opinions for this. All pythons are different, and a python one person is good may have been a pain in someone else's collection. But I'll try to help.

If you're after something with a bit of size to it, go for carpets (morelia). The is a ton of variety, from bright yellow jungles to reddish Bredli. The get anywhere between 1.5 m (jungle carpets), to up to 4m (coastal carpets and some large diamonds). Most take well to handling, but are nippy as juveniles and hatchlings. Almost never, if ever, miss a feed. And they can take quite large sizes of food, adult coastals can often take adult rabbits. Care is simple, as long as you allow for proper accommodation. Would I recommend carpet? Yes, I have a coastal X jungle carpet python and he is amazing. Handles well, eats well and is just really cool to observe. Be aware that some never lose their attitude, and jungles often bear that stigma, but that is quite rare.

If you're after size but for some reason don't like carpets, maybe Aspidites Sp. are more your thing. Woma pythons are great beginner species in most areas (I think Canberrans can't have them until a few years after their first snake). They are easy to care for, and from what I hear are very strong feeders, getting between 2-4 m if you are including black headed pythons.

If you'd rather something smaller, go for members of the antaresia genus. Childrens, spotted and stimson pythons are small (up to 1m) and are easy to keep. They are often strong feeders and good for handling (bar "pubescent" spotteds apparently). There are also pygmy pythons, which don't get much more than 60cm. Those are rare though, and so often a quite expensive.

Cheers,
Herpo

Welcome to APS, and the world of reptiles! :)
Look around, see which one you really like, and then do your research on that python and its care. Get whatever python you really want, but first get hold of one of a couple of good books to read: Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons by Mike Swan, and/or A Guide to Australian Pythons in Captivity by Adam Elliott.
Besides the look, you need to decide practical things like how much room you have for your python. Some can get quite large. While all snakes are individuals, general temperament is something to consider too.

Howdy kev_1967, welcome to our addiction, as both [MENTION=41642]Herpo[/MENTION] and [MENTION=38465]pinefamily[/MENTION] have said get whatever Python you really like, first do lots of research, get both those books pinefamily suggested (they are the bibles of this hobby) and read them often, do not balk at the price because they "WILL" pay for themselves over and over then get whatever you decide on as a hatchy or a yearling so you can grow together learning each others strengths, weaknesses and personality's. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) -ronhalling

Everyone who answers this question is bound to give you a biased answer, which is usually based on what their first snake was. In saying that, here is my opinion, keeping the bias out is nearly impossible for me because I love my snakes, but here it goes:

When I was first looking for a snake, I was originally drawn to the gorgeous patterns of the jungle carpet Python. However, upon research I learned that this species can be rather cantankerous, especially while young. For this reason I decided on a children's.

There is a considerable amount of negativity on this site regarding purchasing reptiles from pet shops, however my first snake was from Kellyvile pets in, you guessed it, Kellyvile, which I think is the best, cleanest and most reputable pet shop I have ever been to. The guy there happily got out several different hatchlings of different types and patiently let me spend around 45 minutes picking a hatchling, and in no way rushed me or tried to get me to buy things I didn't need. Among the babies he showedme was a jungle (I couldn't resist) who proved the website I read right and scared me away from the carpet family with his snappy behaviour, at least until I gained some experience. I also handled spotteds and children's (admittedly I couldn't tell the difference at that time) and picked the most placid, who ended up not being a children's, but a blonde spotted. She has never once bitten me, and the only time she has ever struck, she did it with a closed mouth. Four months later I had saved up all my money, and went back to Kellyvile to buy her a boyfriend. This second snake is even better behaved than the first and is ridiculously chilled out. Both snakes let my little siblings touch them and poke them without getting worried. I got them when they were eight months old.

I probably wouldn't recommend a woma or a black headed, only because of the fact that they have such a strong feeding response, and a sort of, attack first, find out if it's actually my prey later, or so I have been told.

I think that the most sensible thing for you to do is visit a pet shop, or a breeder and handle several different hatchlings, and get the one whose character, not colour, most appeals to you. Who knows, maybe the jungles will be heaps friendly and the spotteds will be phsyco at the place you decide to visit.

Sorry I did not mean to be so long. That was a small essay.

Thank you everyone for your replies it has give me a few things to think about :) I have almost got my hatching enclosure up and running so fingers crossed I can have my first snake :)

Everyone who answers this question is bound to give you a biased answer, which is usually based on what their first snake was. In saying that, here is my opinion, keeping the bias out is nearly impossible for me because I love my snakes, but here it goes:

When I was first looking for a snake, I was originally drawn to the gorgeous patterns of the jungle carpet Python. However, upon research I learned that this species can be rather cantankerous, especially while young. For this reason I decided on a children's.

There is a considerable amount of negativity on this site regarding purchasing reptiles from pet shops, however my first snake was from Kellyvile pets in, you guessed it, Kellyvile, which I think is the best, cleanest and most reputable pet shop I have ever been to. The guy there happily got out several different hatchlings of different types and patiently let me spend around 45 minutes picking a hatchling, and in no way rushed me or tried to get me to buy things I didn't need. Among the babies he showedme was a jungle (I couldn't resist) who proved the website I read right and scared me away from the carpet family with his snappy behaviour, at least until I gained some experience. I also handled spotteds and children's (admittedly I couldn't tell the difference at that time) and picked the most placid, who ended up not being a children's, but a blonde spotted. She has never once bitten me, and the only time she has ever struck, she did it with a closed mouth. Four months later I had saved up all my money, and went back to Kellyvile to buy her a boyfriend. This second snake is even better behaved than the first and is ridiculously chilled out. Both snakes let my little siblings touch them and poke them without getting worried. I got them when they were eight months old.

I probably wouldn't recommend a woma or a black headed, only because of the fact that they have such a strong feeding response, and a sort of, attack first, find out if it's actually my prey later, or so I have been told.

I think that the most sensible thing for you to do is visit a pet shop, or a breeder and handle several different hatchlings, and get the one whose character, not colour, most appeals to you. Who knows, maybe the jungles will be heaps friendly and the spotteds will be phsyco at the place you decide to visit.

Sorry I did not mean to be so long. That was a small essay.

Can't recommend them enough! Got Popeye over there, great bunch of people and animals!

I have been looking at the Stimson's python ( Wheatbelt ) and I like the look of them does anyone know of any Breeders on here who Breed them ??

Where about are you kev? I think Peter Birch has some sweet stimmies.

Ahh OK. Drop by Kellyville Pets if you can. They have beautiful reptiles (no stimmies though) but the trip will surely benefit you knowledge wise. You can handle the different animals and get an idea of what you will need. Also pick up one of the books mentioned above if you go.

Cheers, hope everything goes well,
Herpo

Couldn't agree more. It's my favourite place to go. I'd love to work there, although I would probably get fired, because all I would do is play with the baby snakes.

Hi Everyone just a update I got my first snake a Stimson's Python ( Wheatbelt ) 2 weeks ago now he is 3 months old and he is great to handle so far so good :)

awesome stuff i recently got a stimson mine is pretty snappy

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Hi Everyone just a update I got my first snake a Stimson's Python ( Wheatbelt ) 2 weeks ago now he is 3 months old and he is great to handle so far so good :)

Hey buddy that's gr8 to hear, but remember the number 1 rule at APS:- if there is no picture it did not happen lol.( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) -ronhalling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back