heat bulb hissing??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iguana

Reaction score
So today I noticed that right before the heat lamp turned off (thermostat) it emitted a strange hissing noise. It's done it before but only today i've noticed that it's the actual bulb. I don't know the brand or wattage as it came screwed into the enclosure, but it's not too new.
I was wondering if anyone has any info or knows what it means? how to stop it? or if it means the bulb is about to blow?
Thanks,

are you sure it's the bulb? I'd ditch it if so before it fails or shatters.

Yep I agree with the King and Pinefam - change the bulb - even get yourself a ceramic - they last longer and due to competition they are getting very cheap

Depending on what you are keeping, lights for lizards, CHE's, or ceramic heat emitters, for snakes.

[MENTION=41275]kingofnobbys[/MENTION]
almost certain it is, I can hear the sound coming directly from the bulb or holder itself. Are bulbs known to shatter randomly? I thought they just blew. [MENTION=41353]Wallo[/MENTION] thanks, I will change it asap. [MENTION=38465]pinefamily[/MENTION] [MENTION=41353]Wallo[/MENTION] I know that CHE's last longer but i've heard they are more suited to reptiles that are around the 30-32 degree mark constantly, whereas my diamond needs to be kept much cooler, would they still be alright to use? I've been thinking about changing over for awhile. Also, i'm pretty sure the holder for the bulb is plastic, and I've been told to only use a ceramic holder (for CHE's). If the CHE is a low wattage is it still alright? or is it better not to risk it?

You can get lower wattage CHE's. And I would be changing the holder too if I were you, as even the globes can get quite hot.

As what Pinefam advised - Lowish wattage CHE 60w-100w - you can control your temp with the thermostat to suit your Diamond as well
Just ensure your ES Fitted Lead can take the wattage of the Bulb or Ceramic

Is it hissing or humming? Lots of lights hum as they get older, especially if they're on a dimming thermostat. Most often it will be at about 50Hz because that is the frequency our electricity is supplied at and it's actually related to electromagnetism and completely harmless

Wouldn't be a tiny hole or hairline fissure in the glass expelling air or causing turbulence on the surface as the globe reaches its highest temperature before the thermostat cuts in? Even so, whatever is causing it to hiss, Id be changing it asap.

[MENTION=38465]pinefamily[/MENTION] [MENTION=41353]Wallo[/MENTION] Im not too sure on the fitted lead wattage or anything like that, I got the enclosure completely set up and the previous owner had no idea about wattage. The problem is i'm not too sure how to change the holders, I'm assuming i'd have to rip out all 3 and disconnect the wiring to the thermostat, then reconnect the new ceramic ones, which I have no idea on how to do. Right now, as much as I'd like to change to CHE it's looking to be very difficult, and i'd rather not risk destroying the heating system and leaving him without heat while I call someone to fix it. Or is it simpler to change it out than I think?
[MENTION=21544]saximus[/MENTION] the day bulb will hum, but the inferred is defiantly a hissing noise, they are both pretty old so that may be it. Thanks for the info, its comforting knowing that its harmless.

[MENTION=42227]SKYWLKR[/MENTION] I hadn't considered that, but I took out the bulb and inspected it, there doesn't seem to be any cracks or anything of the sort though. Your theory does make a lot of sense, i'll give it another look and see if thats it.

photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto 3.jpgphoto 4.JPG@SKYWLKR hope these help, I don't know anything about them except they will only accept bayonet bulbs. As for the bulbs, i'm guessing around a year old, since the previous owner bought it for a beardie which they didn't have too long. But they could be older as I bought it off a person who bought it off a vet, but it was new when the bet bought it, so who knows.

Have them changed to E27 ceramic sockets from a pet shop/aquarium. Depending which style you get they're ten dollars and upwards but are suited to high-heat globes and CHEs. The ones you have look like the plasticky ones and appear to be discoloured from heat.

Do what Smittiferous has suggested. If you say you aren't able to do it yourself (which isn't usually recommended anyway ;)), it wouldn't cost much to get a sparkie to fit the E27 fittings. Those plastic ones are a fire waiting to happen.

Looks like to me the "hissing" sound could very well be more like a "combustion" sound. Seriously, those bulbs are ancient and I've never ever had a bulb last that long! Besides the fact it looks like your enclosure fittings are not capable of anything over 50w (or meant for LED)... heed everyone's advice and get them changed out for ceramic or porcelain Edison Screw fittings and they'll last you a good while and do any decent globe justice to your beloved reptile.

Thanks [MENTION=32194]Smittiferous[/MENTION] and @pinefamily, yeah they are pretty old, and the discolored areas are a eyesore. I'll have them changed over these holidays, didn't know they were a fire hazard :S I'll get in contact with a electrician soon.
[MENTION=42227]SKYWLKR[/MENTION] well that sounds very concerning, I had no idea. And I'm surprised myself that it hasn't blown yet to be honest. With all the warnings and advice I'm defiantly going to get them changed ASAP, just wish i'd known all this before I bought the enclosure :/

Last edited:
Do what Smittiferous has suggested. If you say you aren't able to do it yourself (which isn't usually recommended anyway ;)), it wouldn't cost much to get a sparkie to fit the E27 fittings. Those plastic ones are a fire waiting to happen.

You are right there Pinefamily! Being a sparky I have seen so many plastic fittings fail and be very close to starting a fire!! Burnt melamine is to be found in many enclosures in my experience. Another very important thing when getting an enclosure rewired is to ENSURE that the sparky uses heat rated cable for final connection to the heat sockets as many enclosures use ordinary flex or extension cords with the end cut off. Bad practice as the insulation on this type of cable will harden, become brittle and eventually crack causing shorts in the circuit.

You only need the one heat bulb for a diamond, I use 40w in summer and 60w in winter, concentrated on a small basking spot, just the Phillips brand spot globes from bunnings, much cheaper than reptile globes. You don't need infrared because your diamond doesn't need night heat, day heat only.
Like others have said, change the holder out to a ceramic one, can be picked up from electrical wholesalers from as little as $3. Easy to change out yourself but if in doubt get a sparky to do it. The ones I use don't have the flange section, theyre often used in outdoor floodlights etc, been using them for years and never had a problem. Sorry I don't have a pic to show you, I'll see if can get one for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back