Reptiles shutting down already?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a basking lamp for my beardy but no basking lamp or uvb for my childrens python. Just a heat matt connected to a thermostat.

But does it or any of your pets get genuine sunlight? All of mine have at least 2 or 3 goes a week in a secure cabinet with mesh top on the back patio for true sunlight

But does it or any of your pets get genuine sunlight? All of mine have at least 2 or 3 goes a week in a secure cabinet with mesh top on the back patio for true sunlight

I have a mesh enclosure specifically for this purpose, but my animals do not like being outside. They go quite defensive and one CBD became very aggressive and even bit me as I was retrieving him. So I tend not to use it any more.

my thermostat probe is sitting under the substrate blu tacked to the bottom of the glass tank (directly above the heat mat)
Just wondering, is this a usual place for the thermostat probe to go?
I ask this out of pure ignorance and genuine curiosity as I try to piece information together if the time comes to get a snake. :)

I have always done it like this. I have loose substrate in my snakes enclosure so putting a probe ontop would be an inefficient/effective way to get a stable reading. Best of luck mate

well nothing has changed. The dragon is still sleeping under her hide and the snake has again refused an adult mouse & a quail. The snake hasn't eaten since january 9 which was an adult mouse. He was actually totally avoiding the food and seemed scared and timid. Im seriously considering giving him away to another reptile keeper.

Hey Grog,

I'm going to just let you know, I have a Childreni, similar age (couple of years older), eats a lot more than yours and is quite active but she too has decided to just go off the food recently.. I'm also in Western Sydney but I don't provide night time heating and as per the drop in night temps lately I can understand why. She's been to the vet just for general checkups and worming etc and is perfectly fine, good size eating small rats weekly. So don't get too worked up by all these doomsayers. Stuff like this happens to some and not for others. As for the beardy I'm not 100% on that nor will I comment to avoid the APS Lynch mob.

And as an fyi, I'm not saying my snakes off her food out of worry, because she's done it before when the temps drop and she'll do it again many times over before her time is out.. I'm pretty sure it happens to a lot of snakes especially with colder weather creeping in.

Mighty_Moose

Last edited:
How long have you had your python for and is it handled at all

Had him for probably 6 years or so and never really handled much I let him do his thing. But if I ever need to clean the enclosure or get him out he is lovely. He has never ever attempted to be defensive or bitey.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Grog,

I'm going to just let you know, I have a Childreni, similar age (couple of years older), eats a lot more than yours and is quite active but she too has decided to just go off the food recently.. I'm also in Western Sydney but I don't provide night time heating and as per the drop in night temps lately I can understand why. She's been to the vet just for general checkups and worming etc and is perfectly fine, good size eating small rats weekly. So don't get too worked up by all these doomsayers. Stuff like this happens to some and not for others. As for the beardy I'm not 100% on that nor will I comment to avoid the APS Lynch mob.

And as an fyi, I'm not saying my snakes off her food out of worry, because she's done it before when the temps drop and she'll do it again many times over before her time is out.. I'm pretty sure it happens to a lot of snakes especially with colder weather creeping in.

Mighty_Moose

thanks brother I appreciate it. I just get angry at myself because I think there is something that I am doing wrong. Everything seems perfect for him and it just worries me when I hear other snakes are powering on and eating like champs.

I find that reptiles, like humans, are still individuals. We have a colony of Beardies that all experience the same conditions. 2 of the 5 have shut down already while 3 power on and they all live together. Don't doubt yourself too much, they can be an odd bunch :)
My pygmy stimmies have totally skipped brumation and gone straight to shagging it seems....

@Smurf with the kind of lingo you're using I'm surprised you didn't change Randell's named to "Austin"

Now that would be groovy baby :lol: ;)

thanks buddy. I just don't want the little fella to die. I will try him again with a weanling rat on the weekend and see what happens.
The missing eye and neuro is enough to make me worry but not eating is just doing my head in :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back