Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
+1 also interested

We have already submitted to DPaW the next 6 species to be assessed about 12 months ago, but recent advice from DPaW is that the list will not be looked at for another 5 years. I have written back to the Minister that we don't accept the decision and will continue to apply pressure to see additional species added to the list. We will be doing our best to make it easier for DPaW to assess the final 20 species sooner rather than later, they just need some help getting there.

One poll came through today mentioning that Labor is ahead in the state, so I suggest everyone keep sending emails to MPs and Ministers and express your dissatisfaction with this decision. We have contacted the shadow minister for the environment and he will be putting some questions to the minister and we have asked for FOI documents to assist in understanding the DPaW decision not to look at the list for 5 years and have a number of other FOI applications to submit as we move forward with our lobbying.

It's a slow process but we will get there in the end, we have already out lasted 4 ministers and numerous DEC/DPaW officers so we are a better than even bet at achieving our goal.

We have already submitted to DPaW the next 6 species to be assessed about 12 months ago, but recent advice from DPaW is that the list will not be looked at for another 5 years. I have written back to the Minister that we don't accept the decision and will continue to apply pressure to see additional species added to the list. We will be doing our best to make it easier for DPaW to assess the final 20 species sooner rather than later, they just need some help getting there.

One poll came through today mentioning that Labor is ahead in the state, so I suggest everyone keep sending emails to MPs and Ministers and express your dissatisfaction with this decision. We have contacted the shadow minister for the environment and he will be putting some questions to the minister and we have asked for FOI documents to assist in understanding the DPaW decision not to look at the list for 5 years and have a number of other FOI applications to submit as we move forward with our lobbying.

It's a slow process but we will get there in the end, we have already out lasted 4 ministers and numerous DEC/DPaW officers so we are a better than even bet at achieving our goal.

It also seems that there arent any takers that can or will collect the new species. With the current ban on new takers not being eligable and many of the older takers no longer collecting. All the work to get new species and no access to them other than import. I'd be keen to get a takers if they'd simply allow new takers access to the entire list, bar the ones that have been removed due to successful captive breeding.

Just out of curiosity, why is there a ban on new takers?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It also seems that there arent any takers that can or will collect the new species. With the current ban on new takers not being eligable and many of the older takers no longer collecting. All the work to get new species and no access to them other than import. I'd be keen to get a takers if they'd simply allow new takers access to the entire list, bar the ones that have been removed due to successful captive breeding.

With the exception of the python we should be able to import any of the other species if they are available, but certainly GTS and Whips can be sourced.

- - - Updated - - -

Just checked on google plenty available for import - it would most likely be cheaper to purchase them than a taker paying the DPaW taking tax too.

With the exception of the python we should be able to import any of the other species if they are available, but certainly GTS and Whips can be sourced.

- - - Updated - - -

Just checked on google plenty available for import - it would most likely be cheaper to purchase them than a taker paying the DPaW taking tax too.

I really want D p cupreiceps which are only in WA I think? The bright greens and rust reds on the WA specimens are amazing.

I'd be reasonably confident that they'll be sourced due to close proximity to Perth

http://animal.memozee.com/ArchOLD-3/1112973170.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I want this :)

- - - Updated - - -

Also massive thank you [MENTION=1049]stencorp69[/MENTION] for getting these animals added. Without your constant work and pressure it would have never happend, and we are all eternaly grateful for that.

Yes V nice, not quite enough for me to get a license again but pretty close.

Thanks for the encouragement. My biggest motivation is to ensure DPaW honour their commitment to WAHS and the only way that can be achieved is by making it more difficult not to add the species than to add them. The wildlife officers will end up being experts in collating FOI document requests the longer it goes on, but I imagine it will be cheaper to assess and add the final 20 species on the WAHS list than having to undertake 5 years of on going FOI applications. I guess we will see.

It is very important we continue to email our grievances to MPs as it just makes so much work for the public service that it ends up being easier for them to concede to our request.

As the saying goes wildlife authorities never give out anything freely you have to fight and demand it and even then they only cave in kicking and screaming when ministers have had enough and force them to do something to shut you up and go away.

From my past experience in WA, and as stencorp69 suggests, I'd definitely be developing a constructive liaison with the Shadow Minister (I'm an old leftie anyway, so liaisons with Labor pollies were always agreeable for me :)!). It was what got (then) CALM off their highly resistant backsides in the first instance around 15 years ago, otherwise I'm sure there would still be no legal keeping in WA, such was the antipathy to the prospect of legal keeping in that state. I remember Peter Mawson (CALM's "scientific officer") suggesting that legal keeping would happen "over his dead body..." - I'm sure a few people in the room at the time were wondering how this could be achieved!

I notice Snowy that the correspondence from DPaW suggests that the Minister has reaffirmed the current status-quo - of course the Minister of the day will only act on the advice from his/her department, so it's a good way of deflecting responsibility from the reluctant bureaucrats, who will feed him/her the advice that suits them.

As has been suggested, the ONLY way to achieve change is to go down the political path, so developing direct communication with existing and potential political masters is essential. I have to commend all involved so far in what you have achieved, but the five year wait for a further review is arbitary and ridiculous, a bureaucratic brush-off that should be challenged immediately.

Jamie

Are the staff at Perth Zoo aware of how limited the genetic pool of RSP's in captivity actually is and how the the rest of the country seems to be breeding and keeping them at this stage? It wasn't a large scale take from the wild that started the species being held in captivity in the eastern states.

Are the staff at Perth Zoo aware of how limited the genetic pool of RSP's in captivity actually is and how the the rest of the country seems to be breeding and keeping them at this stage? It wasn't a large scale take from the wild that started the species being held in captivity in the eastern states.

A total of five animals actually... just another obfuscation by WA bureaucrats to make you guys sing for your supper!

Jamie

This is Demansia psammophis cupreiceps?! So nice to meet you! I own a (normal) YFWS but was not aware of her stunning cousin. Do they exist at all in captivity?

With respect to the original post, just wanting to confirm that Common Tree Snakes will be able to be imported into WA ...?

Yes they can be imported into wa

Yes they can be imported into wa

Please forgive me for being ignorant or just a plain noob but how long untill we start to see some common tree snakes start to come through the dealers over in WA ? Im guessing it is quite a lengthy process ?

Sorry its been a long day im referring to a reptile shop or someone i can purchase off legally, i would not support a dodgy deal in any way i dont want to end up being *** raped by the DPaW over here god know what else could happen . I was under the impression that we could not import any herpetofauna in to WA because of disease risk red tape ect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back