Sick ackie?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trewin

Reaction score
So i got an ackie yesterday i picked him up from the airport and when i got home put him in a tub with a heatmat and a couple hides. This morning he hadn't moved from where i saw him last, i touched him and he moved a bit then stopped again, and his eyes were closed. Iv put him under a basking light now which since he opened his eyes, any suggestions? Dont want anything happen to this lil guy
b347df536586153fc8e6f7754e4d7642.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I feel stupid, i was to paranoid, he just needed to warm up[emoji106]

Last edited:
Understandable. When I got my ackie I was checking him every few hours to make sure he hadn't died. I had no reason at all to think that he might die, but I still felt the compulsive urge to check on him. After a few days I finally realised that I was being ridiculous.

You could try seeing if he reacts to food or handling, if he lets you pick him up its probably not a good sign.

If you have a small enclosure set up with a decent hotspot and and some hides, put it in there and leave it alone. Give it time to settle in an adjust. Once you see it become active then you can try put some food in there. Just give it time to get use to its new home, it's probably stressed from the trip.

A heatmat and a couple of hides will not provide enough heat, has he improved since putting the basking light on him?
As pythoninfinite mentioned they really do need a basking temp at 55-60C, try ensure that even the cool side is up around 30-32C.

Yes sorry should have provided more information: iv got another young ackie and he has a basking temp of 55 and i plan on introducing this one with him once he settles down a bit, the heatmat was just becasue we had a chilly night. Thanks everyone, i really thought he was half dead when i saw him this morning haha

Yea, about 10 mins after me placing him under basking light he was all good

He was still lethargic and wasn't moving much the next day, i was really worried. Turns out all he needed was help to get to his water dish, i placed him in there and immediatly for about ten minutes was drinking, then tonight when i got home from school he seems 100% running away from my hand, alert and tounge flicking. He must have been severly dehydrated

That's good news. When you start to feed him, make sure you dust any crickets or woodies with multi-cal powder; if you use chicken or turkey mince, mix in a little multi-cal. This will help to perk him up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back