Importing lizards from other states

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sebii

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if it's possible to import captive-bred specimens from other states that are legally kept, not on license? There are some species on the SA exempt species list that I would love to keep up here in QLD! Many smaller skinks and lizards seem to be near impossible to find on license.

If you mean are you allowed to buy a blue tongue for example from someone in SA without a permit, the answer is yes. If someone in SA with an exempt reptile wants to sell it, they can sell it without needing a permit. If it is a case of a species on the permit list, they still might not have a permit if they only own the one, but they need a permit to sell, trade or give away.

Similar to the rules in the ACT.
I recently purchased 3x Shinglebacks from a keeper in the ACT.
As I am in NSW, I still had to fill out an Import Permit. But due to the seller not having a licence, I was advised to put down "No Licence Required" in the licence section.
I then ran into an issue when putting them onto my licence as it wouldn't accept "No Licence Required".
OEH then advised me to put the Import Permit number in that section and it all went through smoothly.

Thanks, great advice guys. I did indeed mean reptiles on the exempt list. Cheers!

Smaller skinks — they are seemingly non-existent online. I figure there would be a greater amount of them available down there if they are exempt. In particular:

Menetia greyii
Lampropholis guichenoti
Ctenotus schomburgkii
Morethia adelaidensis

I'm chasing them in that order from the exempt species. If you know anyone, I would be pleased to get into contact with them, even if they keep other small skink species. I'm happy to send my number and chat on the phone with them as well.

Last edited:
I don't anyone that keeps those unfortunately; I don't think anyone keeps the garden skinks, they are just about in everyone's backyard.

So I keep hearing. I'm sure someone does, it's just a matter of finding them! I know I'm not the first to be searching, that's for sure.

As said above it is fine but it is different then what has been mentioned. Say if you found someone with those species although they dont require a licence to keep them they will still have to get an export permit to transfer them interstate. On your side of this it makes no difference youll need an import permit.

As said above it is fine but it is different then what has been mentioned. Say if you found someone with those species although they dont require a licence to keep them they will still have to get an export permit to transfer them interstate. On your side of this it makes no difference youll need an import permit.

Interesting -- so do you have any experience with this insofar as what might be a reason a permit might be denied?

My example is what was required by the ACT, and the information I was provided by TAMS.
SA departments may be different.

Interesting -- so do you have any experience with this insofar as what might be a reason a permit might be denied?
Reason a permit may be denied is if the seller of the exempt species cannot prove that they obtained the animals from a legal source originally. May be other reasons, but that's one that I know of.

You have right in that ACT don't require an import / export permit of species that are exempt but all the others that have an exempt species list still do require them.

[MENTION=9873]Bushfire[/MENTION] you are right. I forgot to mention the export permit, which is free in SA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back