Newbie Seeking Experianced Diamond Owner Advice, Daily Activity?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TeeDee

Reaction score
Just got a few quick questions if anyone can help me.
What should a diamond python in captivitys daily activity show?
i just brought a 2m diamond and he does nothing but sleep all day unless i wake him up for feeding or handling. I never see him bask or excercise unless i wake him up. Is this normal?!?!

That's pretty much all they do, especially if they're comfortable in their accommodation. Their activity also reduces significantly when they're preparing to shed, so when a change in colour to dark & dull becomes obvious, it's time to leave them alone for a couple of weeks until they shed.

Jamie

As Jamie said, these guys are a very sedentary animals and only move to do living requirements (eat, bask, hide, mate, etc).
This is why a lot of people find most pythons actually do quite well in a tub environment over display enclosures.
But I won't turn this thread into a Tub vs Terrarium debate :)

Cheers
Shaun

I've just noticed he has a pink belly so this explains why he has been so inactive thanks for the help fellas, appreciate it

A pink belly ins't normal for a diamond unless it's "blushing" from a feed response.
Can you post a picture?

A pink belly ins't normal for a diamond unless it's "blushing" from a feed response.
Can you post a picture?

A pink tinge on the belly of a Diamond Python is quite normal if the animal is coming up for a shed. The animal will be generally duller in colour with the telltale pink flush underneath, especially toward the tail. This will clear up a few days before the animal sheds, so reduce handling to nil if possible, until after it sheds. A pink tinge under the tail is often the first indicator that a Carpet is preparing to shed.

The other times they can flush pink, as SM says, is if they are excited by food, but this is around the chin and forebody, not the rear end.

Jamie

A pink tinge on the belly of a Diamond Python is quite normal if the animal is coming up for a shed. The animal will be generally duller in colour with the telltale pink flush underneath, especially toward the tail. This will clear up a few days before the animal sheds, so reduce handling to nil if possible, until after it sheds. A pink tinge under the tail is often the first indicator that a Carpet is preparing to shed.

The other times they can flush pink, as SM says, is if they are excited by food, but this is around the chin and forebody, not the rear end.

Jamie

Ah k, I've never seen that with my carpets.
I've always seen the clouding of the ventral side of the animal, but never the pink tinge to the lower half.
Will take more notice next time I see one of my animals start the shed cycle.

Ah k, I've never seen that with my carpets.
I've always seen the clouding of the ventral side of the animal, but never the pink tinge to the lower half.
Will take more notice next time I see one of my animals start the shed cycle.

It's more subtle but still usually obvious in Carpets, but especially noticeable with Diamonds. As I said, it's often the first sign of an approaching shed, and usually dissipates as the process progresses.

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back