NEW OWNER. Diamond Python Scales HELP

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TeeDee

Reaction score
So i've recently just brought a 2m Diamond, this is my first snake so my question may sound stupid but hey we've all been there.
When i pick him up, i'm under the impression he is supposed to feel smooth. Should i be worries that i can feel his scales lifting up (similar to rubbing my beard the wrong way). I understand that you are going to get thay going against the grain but should i feel it everytime i touch him Underneath?

I've just noticed today when handeling that he actually does have lifted scales on the bottom half of his body. But i also noticed that he has a very pale/ pink body. Is lifted scales a part of the shedding process?

image.jpeg
Cant get a better photo at the moment but will upload a better one when i get the chance. Im not rubbing against the grain, just when im supporting his body and he slithers forwards i can feel the scales i fear are lifted getting caught on my palm

Yeah don't worry about it, it's common for scales to lift when the snake is about to or is in shed. After he has shed the lifting will stop.

A freind if mine suggested starving my snake from the start of footy season for a few months but i didnt take much notice of it. Can anyone inform me why you wouldnt feed and handle them for months, does it have something to do with hibernation?

A freind if mine suggested starving my snake from the start of footy season for a few months but i didnt take much notice of it. Can anyone inform me why you wouldnt feed and handle them for months, does it have something to do with hibernation?

Good to see a cave man that likes football that much he sets his time to it is giving you advice. Seriously feed them as normal but would cut back a little on winter months. Main thing is make sure they get there Vit D. Letting them out in the sun for 30 mins 3 times a week would be nice for them. Maybe sit near them and let them stroll around the yard as you read a book. Just be close to deter butcher birds and magpies from getting too close to the python

I'd seriously consider dumping the "friend" for offering such ridiculous advice :rolleyes:. Where these nutbags get such information beats me. The snake may, of its own accord, stop feeding through the cooler months, but you should leave it up to the snake if you are maintaining heat throughout the winter months. If you were planning to breed, you may want to stop feeding and handling around May and reduce heat to 3-4 hours a day until mid September, but I don't think you're looking at breeding at this point in time.

Regarding the scales, looks perfectly normal to me, and the pinkish tinge, especially under the rear parts of the animal towards the tail, is a certain indicator of an approaching shed. It will clear up and look pretty normal for a day or two before it actually sheds. As the skin layers are separating in preparation to shed, the outer layer can be a bit fragile, so don't handle the animal until the process is complete. It may also be reluctant to feed during this time - some do, some don't.

Just a point about the previous post submitted while I was writing mine - snakes get all their vitamin D from their food, they don't synthesise it from sunlight. But allowing the animal to rove on the grass occasionally won't do it any harm, as long as you supervise it EVERY MINUTE - don't go to answer the phone, or make a cup of tea... they disappear with remarkable speed as soon as you take your eyes off them!

Jamie

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back