Help on Sexing Stimsoni Python (No Probe)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do You Think Bill is a Male or Female?

• Bill (Male)

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Billie (Female)

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethemidget

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Just to start, I really and honestly did try my best to scour the forums for an answer or advice but there was very little on sexing of a Stimsoni, except what I explain here.

The real question I have is WITHOUT probing, how can I sex my python Whil Wheaton. I have desperately scoured this forum and the interwebs, and there is some information.

The best I have been able to get, is that around the fifth subdaucal scale, there should be a gentle bulge OUT or convex, for a male because they have hemipenes... *Females will not have the bulge, and should essential be curved in, or concave, because of the distinct lack of hemipenes*.

*is it possible if there are blocked ducts, and it is a male, would there still be a bulge at all? Or would it just be reduced? Or totally the same?

Is this a reliable method?

Are there other criteria I am missing? Perhaps colouration or pattern? Size?

To clarify, we only wish to sex our snake to satisfy curiosity, we have no intentions of breeding, but who knows the future.

We do not want to have a Vet probe the snake. It's a completely unnecessary risk, and would only serve to peak our interest which isn't fair to Bill the python. If it were medically necessary for some reason we would, but to put him through unnecessary stress and potential damage if something goes wrong isn't fair.

I know it's a common question but I honestly couldn't think of a better place with more experienced people to ask...
I have included a few pictures. Can anyone rather conclusively suggest female or male, and what's your evidence? He is 15 months old, and 55-60cm.
**Apologies for the blurry photos, was late night, dark, with wrong lens**

Bill1.jpg
Bill2.jpg

Bill3.jpg

Bill5.jpg

Bill4.jpg

If there's no consensus, and we have to just accept that Bill/Billie is a snake, and that's it, we will be totally happy and love Bill all the same. But it cant hurt to ask right?

Any advice on my question is welcomed, so is etiquette, posting, and advice about anything really. Cheers a lot guys.

Wait until it sheds, have a look for sperm plugs.
I can't tell from pics, and have seen plenty of snakes sexed wrongly, even after probing.

Wow that's a really interesting way to tell I have never heard anything like that before. That's why I love this site! One day soon I will get much better pictures, but he is already started to shed, I can feel his skin is different again and he is much less sensitive. His last shed came of in an entire piece so that might be a great way. Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back