Light Burns

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nero Egernia

Reaction score
Another "noobish" question. I just recently got some new enclosures and they have heat lights on the inside, fitted to the wall of the enclosure. All my current enclosures at the moment are partial mesh tops where I place the lights on top of the mesh. I am wondering how common is it for a reptile to come into contact with the heat lights and consequently burn themselves? Would a light cage be a solution to this? Or would they have sense to stay away from the light?

Cage the light. Unfortunately they are not clever enough to stay away from the light and it's really not worth the risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With pythons you need to cage the light. The only ones of our lizards that have caged lights are our Mertens', as they tend to hug the light/cage.

image.jpg

Always Cage the light, the cage still gets warm but not nearly enough to burn.

And if you can, move the heat source to the top of the cage - if it's on the wall, the animal can drape itself over the light cage and still overheat or get burned. The top surface of the light cage will still get very hot.

Jamie

Thanks for the replies everyone. It'll probably be a while yet until something goes in the enclosures, so until then I will try and modify it. I was planning on housing either monitors or pythons in there, but haven't quite decided. If pythons, then I might consider taking the lights out altogether and replacing with heat cords to try and conserve power. Only just not overly sure on how they work.

If you do keep the lights, it's really easy to make your own mesh guards using rolls of wire gutter guard from Bunnings rather than paying up to $40 each guard from a shop.

If you do keep the lights, it's really easy to make your own mesh guards using rolls of wire gutter guard from Bunnings rather than paying up to $40 each guard from a shop.

*raises eyebrow*

Really easy?

Thanks for the replies everyone. It'll probably be a while yet until something goes in the enclosures, so until then I will try and modify it. I was planning on housing either monitors or pythons in there, but haven't quite decided. If pythons, then I might consider taking the lights out altogether and replacing with heat cords to try and conserve power. Only just not overly sure on how they work.
Heat cord is better with terrestrial pythons; arboreal pythons are better suited to heat from above, globe, CHE, panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back