Keeping and breeding lowland copperheads in Queensland

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

andynic07

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I have recently found a love for copperheads, I have always been worried about keeping them in Queensland with the heat. I have done some research and there are mixed stories of success and failure with warmer climates.

I was was just wondering if anyone had some tips firstly on keeping them in Queensland and secondly has anyone been able to breed them in Queensland?

Thanks
Andrew

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 157
I used to keep and breed lowlands years ago in s/e qld, really cool snakes. They arnt that hard to keep and breed at all if you have nice healthy animals. If the ones you have are wild caught make sure that they have been cleaned out well as copperheads are renowned for being full of parasites. Other than this keep them much the same as you would tigers and give them nice cold winters.

Cheers [MENTION=1331]TrueBlue[/MENTION] , my ones were born in captivity and were unfeeding when I got them. They are assist feeding quite well on pink mice but I started them force feeding on pink mouse legs. I am quite a while away from breeding yet but intend on keeping them with no heat at all over winter so hopefully they will get cold enough.

in the summer i can suggest moving the cages to the floor level with hot air rising etc , this works especially well if you have a tile floor which keep nice and cool if there arent any heat mats etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back