New Spotted Python Owner Temperature Question.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
wokka what would you suggest as an ideal set up.

with have more land dwelling snakes i should be more inclinded to use heat mats?
Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
I believe heat mats are best, or if you are scared, heat cords, as the animal is in closer contact with the heat source and so less heat is lost along the way. Some sort of thermal mass is desirable so the heat doesn't "blow away" which can happen if the heat is captured in the air. i use ceramic tiles. I don't think snakes need a lot of air movement so the use of too many vents can waste heat. I have never lived under a rock nor in a burrow or even a cave but I suggest the air movement is minimal and the temperatures remain more stable as a result. So from a heat efficiency point of view timber cages are more insulative than glass; conduction (contact) heating is better than radiant heat; a larger cage is better than a small one (but with a small heated area) baffle walls assist with providing this. I got involved in keeping snakes as just another challenge. I have kept and bred fish, birds and most mammals in significant numbers. I enjoy the logistical challenge of minimising inputs to achieve a desired output,which i did successfully when i kept 1000s of snakes. Some might say my snakes weren't happy. I don't know!
There is always a compromise between "pleasing" the snake and pleasing the keeper. I believe most snakes would be happy to never see their keeper as long as they are the right temperature and have food from time to time and water. Keeping reptiles is a extravigant hobby and we have a duty to minimise the resources used.
P.S How do I put spell check on all this?

yeh cool. i will continue to monitor my temps. as my viv is small as he is still young the lagest heat pad i can go to is a 7w. otherwise it will take up more than the desired 50% of floor room. i have a repltileone heat mat which has a cut out switch at 50 degrees.

Most pythons will thrive with belly heat alone, as Wokka suggests. I prefer head cords to mats because I've seen incorrectly installed mats get dangerously hot and scorch timber surfaces, so a heat cord of appropriate wattage (probably 15W for a smaller species of python) placed under a tile or sandwiched between two tiles will provide very suitable heat for your python. As Wokka also suggests, the heat from CHEs dissipates into the surrounding air, and the wattage you need to provide effective heating is too high.

Jamie

Most pythons will thrive with belly heat alone, as Wokka suggests. I prefer head cords to mats because I've seen incorrectly installed mats get dangerously hot and scorch timber surfaces, so a heat cord of appropriate wattage (probably 15W for a smaller species of python) placed under a tile or sandwiched between two tiles will provide very suitable heat for your python. As Wokka also suggests, the heat from CHEs dissipates into the surrounding air, and the wattage you need to provide effective heating is too high.

Jamie
how do you guys suggest a heat mat be set up.

i have followed manufactureres guidlines and places if underneath viv stuck to the bottom with supplied feet. i have a glass viv.

ive been informed not to cover more than 50% of the tank with a heat matt. mine is currently a 5w heat mat in a 30x30 viv

Just make sure there is some ventilation or air circulation around the heat mat - if it's under a solid surface and tightly sandwiched, it can overheat dangerously, even those of very low wattage.

Jamie

Just make sure there is some ventilation or air circulation around the heat mat - if it's under a solid surface and tightly sandwiched, it can overheat dangerously, even those of very low wattage.

Jamie
thanks mate. the one i have is a 'reptileone' so they are ment to have a cutout switch installed in them also have them running though a good power board also. cheers for the tips
how do you guys suggest a heat mat be set up.

i have followed manufactureres guidlines and places if underneath viv stuck to the bottom with supplied feet. i have a glass viv.

ive been informed not to cover more than 50% of the tank with a heat matt. mine is currently a 5w heat mat in a 30x30 viv

thanks mate. the one i have is a 'reptileone' so they are ment to have a cutout switch installed in them also have them running though a good power board also. cheers for the tips

Hope you have it running through a thermostat too, 50c will cook your snake.

Hope you have it running through a thermostat too, 50c will cook your snake.
hey snapped.

i currently have the heat mat on a timer after a few adjustments the highest the enclosure gets on the heat mat is 36 degrees.
in winter i shouldnt have much of a problem.
but im looking at a thermostat.

which i will get in the coming weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back