New keeper, just want to know some stuff :)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree with Jaimie, if the thermostat fails you'll cook your snake, a 100w is fine on a good thermostat.

I had a similar sized enclosure and used a 100W CHE, as long as basking spot temp is good, then the snake can choose between warm and cool ends.

I've got an adult MD, he's probably a few inches over 6 foot and is about 7 now, I got him when he was 3-4yo, so he's grown a little bit, and bulked out a bit as well.
He's not a huge feeder though, and I probably feed every 2-3 weeks on average.

Your enclosure is fine for now, but for an adult I'd upgrade to at least a 4 foot for floor space, that's just a personal thing though, does your snake use more floor space than height? Thats a good indicator too, my guy does like to climb, but loves to stretch out as well, that's why I made (converted) his current enclosure.

enclosure pic (he has the big part, the smaller right hand side is for my rsp)
12742447_10153603535804900_8004394039291231412_n.jpg

Can't help with your bearded dragon, but if all other signs are good, he/she is probably just slowing down for winter.

I don't take my animals to the vets unless they need it, I don't do yearly check ups. Again, a personal thing but for snakes, I don't see why they would need it anyway, if you own hundreds of them (thinking big breeders) then that's a massive vets bill.

Ok, thanks for the advice, Ill get a new and lower watt when I take the thermostat back as it stopped working. And my lil one never gets off her perch, feeds on it, sleeps on it and the added bonus of pooping on it! And yeah I can see why you wouldn't take them to the vet, but is there any issues with parasites?

No I have not tried a lower watt, I am actually needing to take the thermostat back as the heating socket doesn't work anymore... Least I have a 2 year warranty. Might switch the heater tho what size do you suggest?

With the thermostat I would check and maybe change the fuse in it before taking it back as it maybe as simply as that

Nah, Ive had my dad check it out :/ he says it needs to go back. It still has the 2 year warranty so its all good.

I heat my adult snakes with 40w globes... 250w of any heating product in an enclosure scares me.

Parasites are a non issue for healthy reptiles. They can become an issue if the reptile gets sick or stressed, but you should not look at regular worming like in the case of dogs or cats. Vet trips are really for when you have an issue. I've seen a vet maybe twice in over 10 years of keeping reptiles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back