Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Its things like this that make this industry look bad but it seem to happen all to often now days. its sad to see these animals were taken from a beautiful part of the world and for them not to be able to be returned.

Does this mean that the wildlife will now be euthanized?
This is horrible. Us western Australian herp keepers have enough of a hard time getting animals already, I hate how people continue to do the wrong thing and potentially make it harder for the people doing the right thing. Good on the authorities for continuing their efforts to stop this rubbish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm amazed people can get things out of WA :lol:

It's sad that people still haven't learned and that the animals have to pay the price :rolleyes:

What was that monitor at the top?

I'm amazed people can get things out of WA :lol:

It's sad that people still haven't learned and that the animals have to pay the price :rolleyes:

What was that monitor at the top?
Plenty of grey nomads and other tourists who drive to these places to have adventures, site-see, fish, 4wd and have camping/ caravanning holidays. Very easy I expect to catch and then bring back to NSW , Vic etc in tubs in the caravan or camper - no one checks what you have in the caravan / camper / boat .

If they are inclined to be make a quick $ , don't care about protecting our native animals , and are able to catch the critters , it's open slather and the chances of being caught are probably very small.

It annoys the hell out of me when l hear that people have taken Reptile's from the wild illegaly without a valid take from the wild permit....and it is so sad that what ever has been taken from the wild ends up having to be euthanase or killed, or because of people who are greedy to make more money so they can live the high or luxury life or because of some greedy crooks.

l have in the pass reported people who l will not name for selling Lizard's under false sub-species names, just so they can sell then to people in states where they normally are not allowed to be kept on a private wildlife licence, l only did it because l care about the Reptile's, and l don't want new keepers to the hobby buying Reptile's and not being aware that they cannot keep that species on licence, and only then do they have to hand it over to the wildlife authorities and they risk getting a fine or having their licence cancelled or suspended.

And l will continue to report anyone l hear of taking from the wild or selling swapping local - national - international any Reptile's without a valid wildlife licence.

A true Reptile keeper is someone who has a love and passion for them, and does not take up Reptile keeping just to make money on them, l myself have loved keeping and breeding Reptile's since l was 5 years old and will continue until the day l die.

Last edited:
Plenty of grey nomads and other tourists who drive to these places to have adventures, site-see, fish, 4wd and have camping/ caravanning holidays. Very easy I expect to catch and then bring back to NSW , Vic etc in tubs in the caravan or camper - no one checks what you have in the caravan / camper / boat .

If they are inclined to be make a quick $ , don't care about protecting our native animals , and are able to catch the critters , it's open slather and the chances of being caught are probably very small.

:D

You're always quick to proportion blame on particular segments of society. Without any evidence I might add.

Now it's grey nomads pillaging the bush. Sheesh.........

I think you'll find that it's not so much grey nomads out to make a quick buck but people either within or that have a good knowledge of the hobby that poach target specific species themselves or have someone do it for them.

I heard from very good sources that it got that bad in Nth Queensland that the authorities had covert motion detection cameras set up in areas where poaches were know to operate.

Poaching wild specimens was one of the principle concerns and considerations of the authorities before licensing was introduced in all states and territories. Turns out that they had good reason for their concerns. It happens more than a lot of people expect and unfortunately it's not just the reptiles that suffer but habitat and micro habitat are often destroyed by ruthless collectors.

In the early days of licensing in NSW a lot of people undertook the WIRES reptile handling courses specifically with the intent to poach animals from the wild and eventually maintain them as licenced animals.

George.

DEPI seems to be very active recently, they where at my house the other month

l myself have not had any inspection by any wildlife offices here in Victoria since November 1996, why l don't know and how do they know if l am or not keeping my record book upto-date or keeping any Reptiles illegaly, if they don't come and inspect my collection of Reptiles and record book, IMO they are to slack and just don't care one bit about how beautiful wildlife.

Last edited:
I'd rather my licence fees and tax dollars went towards policing the illegal trade in reptiles as opposed to them knocking on my door to check for compliance.

Blaming relevant government departments for their shortcomings while ignoring the politicians who hold the purse strings and form policy is also shortsighted in my opinion.

Actually, unless you use a back road, the chances of having your vehicles searched by Ag Dept and allied authorities when entering WA are pretty high - they have a large facility and a lot of staff at the border on the Nullarbor, looking for fruit, drugs, guns and wildlife. Similarly, vehicles are searched when entering WA from the NT in the Kimberley. The last time I drove to WA (2003) we were stopped at the border, I had reptiles with the appropriate WA & NSW permits, but still had to unload the entire car while they did their work and wait while they confirmed the validity of my permits with head office in Perth. This searching was happening to all other vehicles at the time. More of an inconvenience than a problem, but I'm guessing they might get a few herps from those who aren't really aware of the regulations - those with a serious interest in smuggling wouldn't do it by road in a private vehicle.

Jamie

- - - Updated - - -

l myself have not had any inspection by any wildlife offices here in Victoria since November 1996, why l don't know and how do they know if l am or not keeping my record book upto-date or keeping any Reptiles illegaly, if they don't come and inspect my collection of Reptiles and record book, IMO they are to slack and just don't care one bit about how beautiful wildlife.

Les, it's not about your hero status with the Australian wildlife authorities - that's a topic for another thread. We all know you're the Batman of Australian herpetology, striking fear into the hearts of all Aussie keepers. I'm sure your record books are picture perfect, so no need to waste taxpayers money in sending a team to check them out!

Last edited:
Actually, unless you use a back road, the chances of having your vehicles searched by Ag Dept and allied authorities when entering WA are pretty high - they have a large facility and a lot of staff at the border on the Nullarbor, looking for fruit, drugs, guns and wildlife. Similarly, vehicles are searched when entering WA from the NT in the Kimberley. The last time I drove to WA (2003) we were stopped at the border, I had reptiles with the appropriate WA & NSW permits, but still had to unload the entire car while they did their work and wait while they confirmed the validity of my permits with head office in Perth. This searching was happening to all other vehicles at the time. More of an inconvenience than a problem, but I'm guessing they might get a few herps from those who aren't really aware of the regulations - those with a serious interest in smuggling wouldn't do it by road in a private vehicle.

Jamie

- - - Updated - - -

Les, it's not about your hero status with the Australian wildlife authorities - that's a topic for another thread. We all know you're the Batman of Australian herpetology, striking fear into the hearts of all Aussie keepers. I'm sure your record books are picture perfect, so no need to waste taxpayers money in sending a team to check them out!

Must have really cracked down , last long adventure 4x4 camping fishing road trip we took NSW to WA and back again (virtually circumnavigated Australia) we were never stopped and never had the Pajero searched either entering WA or leaving it , took the main roads in both cases. There were a LOT of campervans, caravaners and other grey nomads on the road at the time too.
Good thing the only reptiles I captured were those I took snaps off usually from a distance using either a 70-200mm telezoom or 300mm telephoto and were only caught on Fuji film.

Last edited:

Jamie

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe Les will get in trouble for having flavirufus in captivity- considering that only gouldii is the legal subspecies accordingly to the schedules......better dob yourself in LES.

Maybe Les will get in trouble for having flavirufus in captivity- considering that only gouldii is the legal subspecies accordingly to the schedules......better dob yourself in LES.

Don't think he needs to dob himself in Scott. I've heard on the grape vine that there's plenty of dobing going on by people who are trying to get into the backsides of the authorities.

Regards

George

Jamie

Too bad you didn't learn the difference between perthensis and stimsoni while you were there. :lol:

This kind of thing really lights my fuse! I hate the idea that some people don't show any respect or decency towards our native wildlife! The only thing those people care about is making the biggest profit with the least amount of effort! This is what really slows the growth of our hobby - we get a bad reputation because of a few of these utter morons and people start to look down upon us!

Pmsl... Oh that is GOLD HiramAbiff

INCREDIBLY funny, I pmsl too:D! The Biffo is back! The interesting thing is that I'm a West Australian, worked at the WA Museum for most of my working life, and first kept both A. perthensis and A. stimsoni (then generally known as Liasis childreni) in 1969... It would be a fair bet that you sensitive little souls weren't even born then, let alone understand the complexities and importance of binomial nomenclature - please tell me if I'm wrong, or feel free to contact your "lawyers." But I do have trouble making an initial ID until the photos are re-coloured appropriately, especially if I can't do a scale count.

Jamie

Relax Jamie, we all know that you're the Christ of the hobby, you were around before all us and know everything in your omniscientness and if we sin against you we shall burn in hell ;)

Sorry Jamie I just had to copy your insult and use it against you :lol:

- - - Updated - - -

Actually I'm going to get some popcorn, HiramAbiff and pythoninfinite are my favourite rivals, like Batman and Superman, except more exciting and educated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back