Cloacal Prolapse?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nero Egernia

Reaction score
I noticed that my smallest tristis was acting a bit off today, and before I knew it it seems he may be experiencing a cloacal prolapse. Before it happened, he was basking a lot, then he moved away from the hot spot and sort of slouched there, straining. Red flesh began to extrude from his vent, and it stayed out. Next thing he did was rub it in the substrate and then he proceeded to vomit his dinner from two days ago. He seemed to be exhausted after that and the flesh has not gone back in, I can only assume that it's some kind of prolapse. It may have been from the large feed he had not long ago. I've removed him from his enclosure and placed him in a clean plastic quarantine type of enclosure with a hide and warmth.

Any advice on what I can do with him (that's the least stressful) until he can be taken to the vet? I'll try and get a picture.

tail.jpg

Last edited:
keep the extruding tissue moist with ky jelly till you know what further action you want to take. Is it hemipenes or the actual butt bit prolapsing?

I've added a photo. I'd say it looks like the butt bit. I've read that putting them in warm water with sugar added can help?

Definitely worth a try,...I've heard that too!

Hi Oshkii,

Definitely cloacal prolapse. It's usually caused as a result of dehydration and a high fibre diet and/or impaction. The swelling is caused by fluids and gasses.

The protruding cloaca needs to be kept moist. This is very important because if it dries out you run the risk of it becoming necrotic which will compound the situation and possibly prove fatal. Sugar baths are an accepted treatment. Dislove a couple of teaspoons of water in a about a quarter of a cup of hot water and when it's completely dissolved add cold water to form a warm bath and place the lizard in the bath so the cloaca is submerged. Do this for about 15 to 20 minutes. This will moisten the prolapse and reduce the swelling. Don't attempt to push it back in as this should be done by a vet.

You can keep it moist using ky jelly as mentioned above or alternatively vaseline. You can also make up a sugar paste using water and apply that on a regular basis. This will continue to keep the prolapse moist as well as reduce the swelling.

Keep the prolapse moist and get it to a vet asap. The vet will push the prolapse back in place and place a couple of stitches around the cloaca. These will need to stay in for at least 5 to 7 days.

Unfortunately once a prolapse has occurred there is a high probability that it will occur again in the future. Once it has been treated by the vet it might be a good idea to provide regular baths every few days to ensure the cloaca remains moist.

Investigate the cause of the prolapse. If it is impaction it might be a good idea to change the substrate. If it is isn't impaction make sure the lizard is sufficiently hydrated and look at changing the diet. Either way allow the lizards a few days of fasting to reduce pressure on the digestive system.

Hope this helps and all the best with your critter.

George.

Thanks for the help. I tried the sugar/water solution for perhaps 45 minutes until I was able to go to the vet and nothing changed. When I was able, I called the vet and took him in. The vet said the red flesh was his bladder and put some kind of gel on the end of a cotton bud and pushed it back in while I held the lizard. Didn't get any stitches. I've just gotten him home and put him back in the enclosure. I asked the vet, hoping to suss out why he had a prolapse, but the vet wasn't able to offer much.

I am thinking it may have been diet related? A few days ago he snatched a portion of the other monitor's food items and he looked like a blob after that. Definitely will make him fast for a while so that his cloacal region has some time to recover. I don't think substrate could be the issue as he's fed via tongs. He didn't feel dehydrated when I pinched his skin, but either way I am keen on finding the cause of the prolapse because I certainly don't want it to happen again. I really hope he recovers. I'm not sure if I'm being paranoid but it may look as though he could be still straining . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back